Looking to Buy

DWQuattro

n00b
Feb 6, 2024
Hi all,

I have loved G bodies my whole life and am finally in a place to afford one. I am located in Texas and am looking to buy my first.
Looking for the following:
83-87 Regal
82-87 Cutlass
Any trim, any engine
Clean body no rust
No bondo
No vinyl top

If anyone’s got one that fits the bill, feel free to let me know! Thanks!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Hi all,

I have loved G bodies my whole life and am finally in a place to afford one. I am located in Texas and am looking to buy my first.
83-87 Regal
82-87 Cutlass
Any trim, any engine
Clean body no rust
No bondo
No vinyl top

If you like the later year Regals I would start with 1984 and up since that is when they changed the header and grill and rear tail lights.

Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Hi all,

83-87 Regal
82-87 Cutlass
Any trim, any engine
Clean body no rust
No bondo
No vinyl top

which part of Texas? and how far are you willing to travel to get a good one?

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, hope you find what you are looking for. There is a ton of knowledge here to help guide you through the process and what to look for

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Having owned MANY of both types you are considering, let me make the following observations to you:

81-83 regal vs 84-87 regal have two big differences for a car you're looking to build, and assume many drivetrain changes are coming.

1) interior/exterior updates. 1981-1984 base regals had interiors that the fabric wore better then the 1985-87 (excluding limited which were the same in both groups.) The 1984-down used a pallex style cloth like the grand nationals. In 1983-down you got brushed stainless gauges that were square pods, and, 84-up an ugly (imo) sweep style block. 83-down used a different header, more chrome, more squared off. 84-up more streamlined. Taillights switched but can be changed in about 90 seconds per side, it's all hand-tight plastic wingnuts and press/snap light sockets.

2) mechanical systems. 1983-down systems were more vacuum and solenoid operated as opposed to electrical, especially things like cruise control, your wiper motors and such were different, so what you re-use or need to modernize somehow will vary.

OK your cutlass, you've got a different split, basically 81-86 and 87-88.

Difference here was you never got the pallex cloth, but, 1986-1988 had a nice wearing ribbed cloth.

1987-88 all had the European style header panel, and, parts are pricey for them as people like the cleaner streamlined look.

Same 1983-down and 1984-up differences in vacuum, cruise, wiper systems as the regals, but much like the regals, I Omit the drivetrain as I suspect you plan on major changes there.

Generally by mid-year 1983 you could see frames start to have a second set of holes for alternate transmission crossmembers, thans to the 1983 t-type rolling out the 200-4r.

Of the two cars, if you plan on taking apart and putting together the bodies the Regal platform is MUCH more friendly to work on, fasteners are more easily accessible to remove filler panels, header panels, taillights, etc and there is less to them.

Likewise, the 1985-up red/maroon cars had fabric fade BAD compared to the colors used 1984-down, across all the car lines.

We could talk in depth about year specific and mechanical nuances, but, may make more sense to wait until you pick some specific victims

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Casual observation says finding a Cutlass or Regal without s vinyl top or Landau top is going to be more difficult compared to other makes models.

In that timeframe vinyl tops/landau tops were very popular and many many of those cars came so equipped since they were considered to be “better” than the lesser Chevrolets. Best of luck with your search.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor