need help with Vin Number?

Dec 29, 2023
hey all new to the group. I just recently brought a 1980 Chevy 2 door coupe Malibu from a guy down in the maryland area, title for the car matched the vin number on the car but when i try and decode the vin number it came back as ............ do you guys think he changed the vin from a el camino and put on this malibu? I'm really confused, not sure what to do.
Screenshot_20231229_182843_Gallery.jpg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It does say it's a Malibu in the VIN. The confusion you're having is that the Malibu & El Camino are the same car. Pay attention to the "W27" which is what tells you it's a Malibu Classic coupe. W is used for both as the El Camino was only avalible in the Malibu Classic trim unlike the earlier generation A's. If it had a T in place of the W it would of been a base Malibu. 27 tells you it's a coupe. An El Camino would have 80 instead. For '80 the body codes used were 27 coupe, 69 sedan, 80 pick up, 35 wagon.

Reactions: 2 users
Dec 29, 2023
It does say it's a Malibu in the VIN. The confusion you're having is that the Malibu & El Camino are the same car. Pay attention to the "W27" which is what tells you it's a Malibu Classic coupe. W is used for both as the El Camino was only avalible in the Malibu Classic trim unlike the earlier generation A's. If it had a T in place of the W it would of been a base Malibu. 27 tells you it's a coupe. An El Camino would have 80 instead. For '80 the body codes used were 27 coupe, 69 sedan, 80 pick up, 35 wagon.
man thanks . i really appreciate it. i was starting to really worry i made a bad buy....

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor