Rear Tires and Wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonteMan1987

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2007
Hudson MA
I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried to fit a mickey thompson sportsman 29/12.5/15 on a stock frame and rear-end 87 Monte. I have been told you can fit a 295/50/15 on a monte, if anyone has any info on this please contact me at [email protected] thanks

tnts79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2008
A 7.5" 10 bolt won't hold up under 12.5" slicks. I think the biggest tire you can get away with on a stock rear wheel wheel is a 27 or 28x10.5 if your car sits high enough. You will probally have to cut or roll the rear fender lip to keep from getting into the sidewall on a 10 inch tire. I am pretty sure a 12.5 just will not fit. Check out maliburacing.com

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
not sure how mickey slicks work in reference to size but I have a 78 buick regal with rear adjustabel air shocks, original rally wheels on 255/70/15. The only problem I have with rubbing is when ride through something with a dip or turn hard and its rubs the inside of the tire closest to the frame. I could use some spacers but thats when the problem only occurs so I'm not in a big rush to get them but I will if I upgrade to some 275 which is the biggest I can get. I know the 255 sit 28.5 i think high from to top bottom.

tnts79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2008
I had the same issue with 275's on my malibu. Straight lines weren't a problem but anytime the rearend dropped on either side the inside sidewall would rub the frame. I run 255's for now, plan on putting 10" et streets on it when I get my 12 bolt installed.

N.O.S SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2006
Bloomingburg NY
I run a set of 28-10.5 slicks on my monte and they just barely make it.I cant see 12.5 making it

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
depends on the offset.

and cornering. the body might eat the tire in a corner, other then that I had 11inch wide tires no problem.

Edit, I got 15s on there now, But the body would hit.

80 cutlass man

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2008
I HAVE 29550R15 ON 10 INCH AMERICAN RACING VECTOR WHEELS OM MY 80 CUTLASS 2 DOOR I HAVE NEW SPRINGS AND COIL SPACER WITH AIR SHOCKS RUNNING 100 PSI IN THEM WHEN I CORRNER HARD THE TIRE WILL BARLEY TOUCH THE FENDER I HAD THE PROBLEM OF OF THE TIRE GETTING CUT 1 WENT THROUGH TOW TIRES ALREADY IN A YEAR THE NEW SPRINGS AND SAPCERS AND AIR SHOCKS SEEM TO WORK WELL HAVE NOT CUT A TIRE YET THIS YEAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor