Relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esotericnem

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2007
I have a 81 Cutlass and the right tale light doesn't work when I push on the brake or turn signal but works just fine when I turn on the head lights....could this be a relay issue and if so, where could I find the relay?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Sounds to me like the bulbs are burnt out. There is no relay in that circuit. There is a thermal flasher, but the fact that the other side works precludes it from being the problem.I would also look at the wires and see if they are internally shorted. I replaced my tail light harness a week ago because of a similar problem. If it were me, I'd take a test light and see if the harness connector is getting power back there. If so, try the bulb socket next and see if it gets power. It's a 27 year old wiring harness and bound to have some problems from time to time.

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
relay

i got kinda the same problem but my left brake light intermitently dont wanna work. think i traced it to the blinker harness assemble in the colum i will be replacing shortly.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
check the harness that runs along the drivers side of the trunk, theres a connector there, on my car there's only one wire that isnt corroded out (I don't drive the car) only my reverse lights work right now. we've had a few into the shop with rear light wiring problems and thats the first place we look.... of course this is assuming the bulb is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor