springs and setup for autocross

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckosacranoid

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2008
grayslake,ill
does anyone know a get setup for a full blow gutted and preped monty carlo for autocross, the car right now is an ex circle track asfualt racing car. i am needing the change out the springs and the stack of washers on the front pass side arm to get ready to kill cones. besides fixing little things like get the motor in the car.
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff14 ... ?start=all

here is the pics for the car what we are doing to it as i do the biuld.
i have afco shocks on it, racings springs of different sizes and weights.
i have a stock 350 out of a 85 chevy burban that is going into it. i have a set of headers and a 600cfm edilbrock 4 barrel for it. i am planning on putting a passenger seat in the car for times when i need someone to ride along or when i go drifting later this year with the car i have a place where someone can sit.

if anyone has an idea of what type of camber to run up front or right now i am looking at running a set of stock springs for it since i cant find anything cheap used right now.
thanks for your time.
jason

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
I hope you get help because I love your project! Best of luck! I was hoping for info on what would be needed to get a stock G body up to snuff for autocross. Either way, best of luck and go scare some kids! :twisted:

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
That thread irritates me to no end! Why is it that no one makes a damn dropped center drag link for a G body? Barring that, at least a dropped pitman arm and a dropped idler arm would fix the issues just as easily. I'd definitely drop some cash with whoever makes those parts first! The only real alternative is a swap to a rack and pinion steering setup, which would of course be the best way to go. Less weight, more accuracy, and elimination of the awful bump steer geometry.

EDIT: I wonder if it would be possible to "drop" a center link like the old hot rodders used to drop an axle on a 32 Ford? If so, it would make it shorter, but that could be offset by lengthening the tie rods a bit, or by starting with a longer one off another GM product that used this same basic design. Either that, or a spacer like is usually used for bump steer eliminator kits on the spindle could maybe be used to drop the center link instead by using them on the pitman arm and idler arm?

omegaman211

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2007
ohio
dropped center drag link

Visit Allstar-Performance.com On their home page click on "steering suspension & accessories then scroll down to adjustable center links. This may be exactly what you"re looking for. Happy surfing.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Hyperlink for anyone else who wants to see it: http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=733

BTW, many thanks! I have been looking for that for months but never can seem to find it. I will definitely add it to my shopping list as it fixes the last geometry problem I had left in my attempt to re-engineer this aging car!

:EDIT: It appears that it only adjusts it 3/8 of an inch, and I need a larger drop than that, like an inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor