thinking about cutting my stock springs to lower my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
pontiacgp said:
you can't cut airbags....what happened to the springs?
no right now the stock springs are in the car and and i was thinking about cutting them down.i also have a set of air bags that i could put in.just kinda looking at dif thing i can do with what i got. i dont want a air ride that i can play with just kinda set it and go like u would do with air shocks if u can even really do that with air bags.again im sorry if the things im asking seem kinda dumb.like i said b4 i dont really kno much about what can and cant be done with a suspension as iv only done oem replacement suspension stuff iv never done any costum suspension work.im one fo learning as mush as i can about what im tryin to do b4 just jumping into the first thing that comes to mind to do what im trying to do.i also like trying to make that parts by hand b4 just buying them

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
pontiacgp said:
no questions are dumb cause it opens up discussion...
yeah i guess i just kinda fell dumb when it comes to doing any kind of costum suspension work.i started thinking about the doing the air ryd set up cuz if i cut the springs and get the car to sit where i want it the car will be to low to hit some of my fav back roads. if i do the air bags kinda like i was sayin seting them up more like air shocks i could bering the car back up a little bit and still hit the back roads.if i make the brackets fot the bags o go in could i just run the 4 air lines running to 2 valve steams one for the fornt one for the back would it work right?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know about air ride set ups....there a few guys in here who have done that so they should be able to answer your questions....but you might want to start a thread about air rides cause this one is about springs

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
This is the way my GP sits on the F body springs..
3d6638c7.jpg

ec5755c0.jpg

a7e0af92.jpg

c740ac9a.jpg

170bfb7f.jpg

50393917.jpg

different views and IMO i would rather go a different route BUT i am willing to sell the springs along with the the f body isolaters for a good price.. though they dis scrub the inner fenders easily without shocks and the desired rim/tire combo.

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
when it comes to gbodys i like the forgotin years the best 78 79 80 but thos 82-88 gps i love the look. in i like how its sittin with the back end up a bit higher but yeah the hole car could come down just a bit.f body isolatersthe is what the spring would sit on right?i thought a gbody would sit really low on a set of fbody springs isent a fbody a lot lighter then a gbody my trans am fells so much lighter then my cutlass when driving it

Crapple21

Greasemonkey
Apr 16, 2011
Washington
85GPLef41 said:
This is the way my GP sits on the F body springs..
3d6638c7.jpg

ec5755c0.jpg

a7e0af92.jpg

c740ac9a.jpg

170bfb7f.jpg

50393917.jpg

different views and IMO i would rather go a different route BUT i am willing to sell the springs along with the the f body isolaters for a good price.. though they dis scrub the inner fenders easily without shocks and the desired rim/tire combo.
How much do you want for the set up?

79olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 3, 2012
I'll chime in I've cut all the springs on all my g body cars I've own most people keep the stock shock when they cut it and that's what really ruins the ride and I've cut 2 coils off max for the type of drops I wanted and used a shorter stock and the ride didn't feel bad at all

cutlass79

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2011
merrillan wis
79olds said:
I'll chime in I've cut all the springs on all my g body cars I've own most people keep the stock shock when they cut it and that's what really ruins the ride and I've cut 2 coils off max for the type of drops I wanted and used a shorter stock and the ride didn't feel bad at all
ok im going with the air bags set up like air shocks.but just for fun im goin to cut the springs down. but i donmt get how i should cut them unless i have to heat up bend and cruls the coil ends back so the spring will sit down like it should.if u have cut down gbody springs b4 would u mind givin a few tips on how i should go about doin it.i got the springs out in ready to be cut. my springs are stock springs but only a year old

79olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 3, 2012
You usually cut the top of the spring the top of the spring will have the coils more far apart. I just use a cutting torch when I do mind takes about 13 seconds per shock cut right below the top coil end so basically after you cut it, it should like a stock spring with the same end on top so when you put it back in the end of the coil will be in the same position in the control arms hope that sense. But you can use a cutting wheel etc to cut it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor