5.3L into a 85 El Camino. Can I make Ca Emissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj62

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2009
Hey Guys,

I may have made a big $$$$ mistake and would like some expert advise
before going to the smog referee. I should have researched first before doing the
engine swap cause I'm not real clear on the Calif smog law which
is kinda vague.
My question will I ever be able to pass the Caif Emissions test with this engine
swap.
2005 1500, Silverado 5.3L and 4L60e trans combo into a 1985 El Camino SS.
The new motor has a LS1 stock intake manifold, and front water pump group,
a/c, p/s, alt and pulley from a 04 GTO 5.7. Exhaust are 04 GTO with inboard and
outboard 02's and cats. Oh the block is iron.

The way I read the law is that you can swap a light duty truck engine 6000GVW,
or under into a car. Well I found out that the silverado is 6100GVW. So am I sunk?
But my thinking is that a El Camino is a truck. Because it is rated a 1/2ton,
it has a bed and the DMV requires I have Commercial plates and charges me
so. So shouldn't be light truck to light truck, right?.

I don't want to throw anymore money at it if I can never get it smogged.

Your help will be appericated........

Thanks,
Joe

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
with the caveat that cali and the dmv can make their own laws whenever they feel like it, if they require commercial plates based on model, then it must be a truck. so what are the rules for light truck to light truck? or if you don't have to prove provenance, say it's a different engine from a different car. as long as you still call it an LS no one should notice.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
If you can waiver which I doubt, EPA roughly states whichever engine came from the factory is the only replacement. Unfortunately the 85 El Camino never came with a 5.3. Sounds like a sweet project. Maybe you can dump the car on EBAY to someone/somewhere doesn't have smogs to deal with.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
IIRC the original engine spec is for testing purposes--as in if you want to use the original test limits, you must use the original engine. if you put in a newer engine you go by the emissions testing spec of the new engine.

just plain john

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2009
Pasadena TX
This is kind of a hokey answer, but I've seen Hot Rod and Car Craft do feature articles on the LS series into older vehicles. Maybe you could pose the question to them, since they are in California as well. Maybe they know first hand. Having never lived there, it sure seems like they don't want you to do very much altering of anything.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
What's their stance on the resat of the emissions system? Purge valve/canister, fuel tank , EGR, etc?

I'd figure that's where they may get sticky on it.

Been probably 15 years since I read the rags with any regularity, but from what I recall, they never really streeted most of the stuff they put together.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
all emissions equip must be present and functional. you still have to have the obd2 connector for the test, along with the full original efi system. normally the test (for obd2) should just be a computer scan, but they'd probably make you get the tailpipe done, at least the first year.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
I saw this on another website and thread about engine swaps:

Engine Change GuidelinesOverview
Engine changes continue to present problems and challenges to car owners and technicians. Here are some tips to keep you and your customers on the straight and narrow.

Our recommendation is to rebuild and reinstall the original engine, transmission, and emission control configuration.

When rebuilding an engine, it must be rebuilt to the original equipment specifications. However, if you do decide to change the engine, these guidelines must be observed to ensure that the vehicle will be eligible for smog certification or registration.

Remember, these are guidelines for performing engine changes – not certification procedures. All exhaust emission controlled vehicles with engine changes must be inspected by an official referee station and must have a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Vehicle Identification Label affixed to the doorpost.

Remember also, state and federal anti–tampering laws generally prohibit any modification to the vehicle's original emission control system configuration as certified by the manufacturer. And, Section 3362.1 of the California Code of Regulations prohibits any engine change that degrades the effectiveness of a vehicle's emission control system.

California Certification
A federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) certified (federal or 49–state) engine cannot be used in a vehicle that was originally certified for California.

Certification Standards
Make sure the engine and emission control configuration on exhaust – controlled vehicles are certified to the year of the vehicle or newer, and to the same or a more stringent new vehicle certification standard.

Classification
Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy–duty engine cannot be installed in a light–duty exhaust–controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement. Non–emissions controlled power plants such as industrial or off–road–use–only engines may not be placed in any exhaust–controlled vehicle.

Computer Controls
If a computer–controlled engine is installed in a non–computerized vehicle, the "CHECK ENGINE" light, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) diagnostic link, and all sensors, switches, and wiring harnesses needed to make the system fully functional must also be installed.

Emission Control Configuration
Mixing and matching emission control system components could cause problems and is generally not allowed. Engine and emission control systems must be in an engine–chassis configuration certified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The engine must meet or exceed the requirements for the year and class of vehicle in which it is installed.

Emission Warranty
Voiding the vehicle manufacturer's emission warranty is not allowed.

Engine Modifications
No internal or external engine modifications (cams, pistons, intakes, etc.) may be performed unless the parts are ARB–exempted or EPA–certified for use in the installed engine. Use the database on this site to search for aftermarket parts covered by ARB Executive Orders.

Original Equipment
The installed engine and host chassis must retain all of their original emission control equipment. Diesel–to–gasoline conversions must have all gasoline engine and chassis emission control systems installed (such as fillpipe restrictor, catalytic converter and evaporative emission system).

Smog Inspection
These vehicles must pass a complete smog inspection (visual, functional, and tailpipe).

Be sure to check for updates on California's DMV and other gov site for your correct Be sure to check for updates on California's DMV and other gov site for your correct intruptation of the California Law or any other State Law.
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html

jj62

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 22, 2009
No Calif isn't very helpful and wright their laws the same way.
If you piss off a ref they'll just fail you and i don't mean getting
angry at them. I just mean if they look and don't understand they
won't listen to reason.

Once they plug into the obdII, won't it display the size of the engine or
at least a vin # that can be cross refrenced for size?
If not all tell them its an LS.

Just need all the ammunition I can get before going to the ref.

Thanks for the Help and Merry Christmas.

Tired of Calif Bullshit...

Joe

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
There are so many loopholes in Ca smog laws that the referee station can read it the way they want to. And they change more than most people change undies...

Generally I don't think a truck engine can be swapped into a car. Since this engine is so much newer and *cleaner* than the original engine, it may be accepted.

All the smog equipment from the original vechicle must be retained and installed on the older car. One exception there *used* to be was cats. If the original vechicle didn't have cats from the factory, they didn't have to be used due to fire hazard safety. That may have changed, I'm not sure. Since your 85 Elky had one that doesn't matter anyway.

All add on parts must have an E.O. or C.A.R.B. number for the engine you have installed.

I'd go talk to a referee station and tell them what you have done and what you need to do to comply with the laws. If they sense that you are earnestly trying to comply with the laws, they *may* be a little more helpful.

After it passes the referee station and gets the proper paperwork, they vechicle is now smogged just like the original car it came out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor