Frame Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAGCUSTOMS87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2008
St. Johns/Lansing, MI
i am looking to restore my 1980 El Camino. and i'm going to get a newer solid frame and get it powdercoated. i just wanna know input on to what all should be done with the frame before getting it powdercoated. like i'm going to use a bolt on suspension kit so there shouldn't be new hole for that, and i'm going a breaded fuel line system and i just wanna know what should i make sure is done before i get it powdercoated. thanx :)

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Is it gonna be a hig h performance build, or just a cruiser??

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would clean up the junk factory welds and reweld them and weld where they missed...and I'd box the center section

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I would box the centersection if i were in your shoes.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
one other thing I might consider is to weld in some tubing in between the rear rails

JAGCUSTOMS87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2008
St. Johns/Lansing, MI
yeah it will prob be more high performance / show car. so by boxing the frame your talking more cross bars between frame rails? i'll have to look into that. that would prob require some checking for clearance on the body or engine and trans or not really?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 437

Forsaken502

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2009
Boxing the frame refers to making the frame rails a solid box, instead of just the C shape they come from the factory like. Basically just take a plate of steel and weld it in on the open side.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
JAGCUSTOMS87 said:
yeah it will prob be more high performance / show car. so by boxing the frame your talking more cross bars between frame rails? i'll have to look into that. that would prob require some checking for clearance on the body or engine and trans or not really?

They're talking about boxing the frame rails on each side behind where the trans crossmember mounts. Stock its basically like a 'C' channel.

I did this on my '87:

IMG_0974.jpg

I was originally going to powder coat my frame but ended up coating it with 3 coats of Rust Bullet and then spraying it with Rustoleum Satin black paint.
Turned to be great because if you forgot any fab work before paint it, you can just take a rattle can to touch it up. Touching up powder coating wouldn't be too easy.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
That's a nice looking frame you got any more pics of it. I'm looking to do a frame off on my 87 442 and I need some ideas as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor