84 Hurst/olds resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutlass383

Master Mechanic
Nov 24, 2009
Oklahoma City
Well guys got my front air dam for my 84 h/o yesterday which was the last thing holding up the resto. Also got some info on the car from GM, its #685 out of 3500.Car was sold in yukon, OK on Dec. 12, 1983. I also got the original owners name but having a hard time finding her, maybe she has some pics when it was new. Frame is soild, the only rust is a small patch in the rear wheel wells and one small hole in the trunk pan. Engine and trans are coming out next tues for the rebulid, and that might be it for this year, next income tax is going towards the suspension and frame. body work and paint would be last. really excited to get started. Finally get to use the stock pile of parts in my garage, which i got from that dirtbag chriscutlass. i must be one of the lucky ones that got there parts. heres some bad pics. when it stops raining i can take her out and take better pics.
SAM_5390.jpg

SAM_5393.jpg

Mikes83ss

Greasemonkey
Mar 14, 2011
las vegas,nevada
Wow that looks like a pretty solid hurst.I'm really surprised that as complete as that looks that you were missing the front air dam.Also thats a pretty low production number.

84cutlass383

Master Mechanic
Nov 24, 2009
Oklahoma City
Thanks! everything is there but, everything is just wore the Fu*k out. luckly i got everything i need to make it new just need to install. it needed everything but a dash, ( no cracks wow!! ) passenger seat and lower back seat, everything else either i gotta refresh with some paint or replace.

84cutlass383

Master Mechanic
Nov 24, 2009
Oklahoma City
ok guys the motor and trans are out and off to the machine shop. no pics cuz my camera took a sh*t :evil: . now its time to clean and prep the engine bay. wanted to know what u guys used to clean and paint the frame and etc. any thing to keep the rust coming back. what tools to use to take off the surface rust and 27yrs of dirt. thanks Ray

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
84cutlass383 said:
ok guys the motor and trans are out and off to the machine shop. no pics cuz my camera took a sh*t :evil: . now its time to clean and prep the engine bay. wanted to know what u guys used to clean and paint the frame and etc. any thing to keep the rust coming back. what tools to use to take off the surface rust and 27yrs of dirt. thanks Ray

First off I love your h/o, use aircraft paint remover to make the old paint come off, then use a pressure washer to get most of the slimy paint substance off, then take a wire wheel to shine up the rest! :D I would use rustoleum paint because it will keep the rust from coming longer than any other paint but rust will happen still but under your care it probably won't :) good luck on the build and borrow someones camera if you can ;)

84cutlass383

Master Mechanic
Nov 24, 2009
Oklahoma City
what kind of aircraft paint remover should i use? im asking cuz i used a spray can type and it didnt work to well. i heard from alot of people that rustoleum doesnt work as well. any other products out there?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Do NOT use paint stripper on your frame/engine compartment unless you like wasting money.

The best/easiest way is to have the engine compartment steam cleaned to get all the grease and grunge off. Then you can just hit whats left with a wire wheel/sander so the new paint has something to stick to.

84cutlass383

Master Mechanic
Nov 24, 2009
Oklahoma City
well thanks to gbody-vet i ordered that KBS 3 step deal they had for 60 bucks. should get it by friday..hopefully i should have sum pics of the progress by monday.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Yeah, much of the paint is technically not there on the frame and engine cradle, it's actually grease and dirt your looking at. The paint basically gets disintegrated over time due to heat, solvents (gas/oil etc...) and dirt.
When I did mine it just wiped off but I used a wire wheel and a drill to speed things up. Got a little messy but it worked very well.

84cutlass383

Master Mechanic
Nov 24, 2009
Oklahoma City
update...got the engine and transmission out. Dropped the transmission to get rebulit, and engine is at the machine shop. Spent yesterday and today cleaning the engine bay, and i still got the transmission tunnel to do as well :evil: I tell you what 27 years of oklahoma red dirt and oil does not come off easy at all. anyway heres sum pics.
crossmember stripped of red dirt and oil and fresh paint
DSC00007.jpg

before
DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

after
DSC00033.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

Daddy's little helpers
DSC00028.jpg

Me taking a break lol
Gunna start painting tomrrow wish me luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor