starter wiring trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
My stock starter isnt getting the job done so i replaced it with a gear reduction mini starter and added a heat shield. When i dropped the starter i saw that the factory fusible link and positive battery cable had melted. I replaced them with a new 4ga wire (battery to starter) and cut off the old fusible links and added new 14ga fusible wire. I mounted these to the top terminal on the starter solenoid.

For my ground I cut the old stock one off and ran a 4 ga wire and grounded the starter to the block, BUT i changed the mount terminal to the terminal on the starter where the starter is grounded to the solenoid by a ground strap/wire.

I went to try and crank and i have nothing, any suggestions? how many terminals on the starter are grounds? does the stock starter ground run in a series with any other grounds?

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
i think there should be two? one grounding the solonoid and one grounding the motor.one time i mixed up the 2 small wires and had nothing. i swapped them and it worked.

CUTLASSJESSE

Greasemonkey
Jul 31, 2009
Pecatonica,IL
its probably grounding its self out.. most starters are grounded by the block not a wire not sure what engine you have i have a mini starter on my olds it has a battery to starter positive and ignition switch wire thats it
draft_lens18052941module150888090photo_130825224094-96_Impala_starter_sole

am4blue

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2009
Garden City, Mi
Hey, mobileaudio25. I think the stock wiring for the B+ to Starter is 32mm^2 (2 ga.) Also, the fusable links look like they are 1.0mm^2 (16 ga.) The wires they are protecting are 3.0mm^2 (12 ga) and usually you step down two sizes. So going with a 14 ga may not protect it well enough.

Do you know how may amps that new starter draws? You may be ok with the 4 ga, but stock is 2 ga from what my mechs show.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor