How To Set Engine Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

franknitticutlass

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2009
From the start Ive had an worn timing chain. I paid to have timing set before but I wanna learn how myself. now Ive removed everything to get into the timing cover and the chain is outta shape as performance explained. I am purchasing a new cam (maybe) and timing set soon. Ive removed intake manifold to replace gaskets and in the process I didnt mark the distributor before removing.just took it out. Could anyone explain to me the best they could. How do I set my engine timing, distributor, etc...Major help. By the way ive tried searching the net but no one gets directly to it. You guy are the experts.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Congrats on wanting to learn. I would do the cam now since all is apart and you will do it all over again for nothing. First-get a factory manual and start reading. Next best is Motor manual or Chilton's, Haynes,etc. I swear by factory service manuals-worth every penny. Try http://www.factoryautomanuals.com. Install cam and new lifter set using lots of assembly lube and be sure to check cam bearings for wear before installing cam. Then timing chain and gears. There are timing dots on the gear set so that you time the gears properly. All motors are a bit different,that's were the manual comes in.Observe torque values on all fasteners. Replace pushrods and rocker arms, timing cover, and intake using new gaskets and seals. Don't scrimp here. Install distributor this way- pull spark plugs and put a compression checker in #1 cylinder. Rotate engine until pressure builds in #1 indicating compression stroke. You should see the crank pully coming around to Top Dead Center or "0" on timing cover. Or just stick your finger in the hole and feel the compression. With the valve covers off you will see cylinder #1 exhaust open and close then #1 intake open and close. There is your compression stroke. When you are at TDC on #1 cylinder-go ahead and install the distributor in it's proper orientation with the rotor pointing to #1 post on the distributor cap.Be sure you engage the oil pump shaft properly-if it fights you turn it with a big screwdriver to meet the distributor shaft properly.If you did the cam you need to run the motor at 2000 rpm to break it in so the timing must be set properly to do this. I use a priming tool (old distributor cut down-turned with a 1/2" drill) to get oil to all the critical places. Then I get someone to crank the motor with all plugs out while I hold a timing light and set the timing dead on. THEN I try to start the motor and if all is well with oil pressure,etc,run it at 2000 rpm for a half hour to break in the cam. Check cam manufacturer's instructions here-they may differ. Check water temp during this as it is easy to overheat. If you did not do the cam just time it and you are done. That's the Reader's Digest condensed version. Get a manual and research the job so there are no surprises you can't deal with. GOOD LUCK!!

franknitticutlass

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2009
Thanks a whole lot. Youre a life saver. I have the Chiltons and Haynes Manual. Its just some things they should really go into more detail about. You said " Rotate engine until pressure builds in #1 indicating compression stroke".How do I get the engine to rotate? and is there any kind of special alignment I should do with the new gear/ timing set? or Do I just install it in the way the old one was? Do I just lube up the new cam and install it? Someone told me if i take the old cam out. When I replace the timing set i have to align the notches on the gears.Something like that. True of False

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You're welcome. Turn the motor with a breaker bar and a big socket on the crankshaft pully nut. Did the old gears have dots? Then put the new ones in same way. Those dots line up to assure timing. I don't know what motor you have but on my Pontiacs the dots go at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock-right next to each other. One tooth off and you will know it.

franknitticutlass

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2009
ok. no the old ones didnt but there is only one way you can put the gears in because they have slots in them that fit on the crank. i dont know about the cam gear i havent gotten that one off yet. Thanks.I really appreciate all the advice youve given me.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Whoa! Yes the gears go on the crank and cam one way-the woodruff key engages the gears and holds them in place,BUT,the cam can rotate out of position from the crank and then your timing is off. That's why they put some kind of marking on the gears-take a look-so they can be lined up with the chain in place. If the cam is out of timing with the crank the motor will not run-or run crappy- and you may break parts. Your manual should cover this. Also use a puller on the cam gear-don't try to crowbar it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor