Olds 403/Th350 into 88 MCSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Alright I'm just gathering information right now, and doing some price stacking.

This 403/Th350 is bolted into a 79 trans am right now, and I've come to the point with this trans am where it's just become too much to fix this body right now. I can still go forward with it, but I'd rather jump back on track with my Monte carlo.

So, my first question is will an olds 403 bolt to the motor mounts that are in my 88 MCSS right now? it had a SBC/ 700R4 setup prior, i still have the original cross-member.

Second question, will the Th350 bolt to the MCSS original cross-member?

IF the TH350 will bolt to the original cross-member, I'll need a new driveshaft because the MCSS driveshaft was cut down to fit the 700R4.

I considered doing the work to swap rear ends, but it's too much work right now. The MCSS has the stock posi trac, and the trans am has the stock 8.5 posi trac with 2.19's.

Next question, and i don't know if anybody here can awnser this or not but this would be a deal breaker, i have this set of headers on the 403 right now
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-3901HKR/
part number : HOK-3901HKR
Will they fit this 403 in my MCSS?
I'm going to call holley and ask if those headers will fit an olds Gbody with a 403, and if they will i'll assume they'll fit in my MCSS.

Now if anybody is wondering why i'm making such a sudden switch
This trans am needs allot of work still that i didn't know about. i mean allot.

My MCSS has a spotless interior and almost perfect body, and NO RUST whatsoever, and i don't think its ever had any rust.
Second, I've got roughly 1500-2000$ worth of Savitske classic and custom suspension parts for my MCSS just sitting in boxs. I've got the stage 2 + suspension setup for the front.

Another added bonus, the trans am weights a good bit more than the MCSS, and this 403 will be running through 3.73 rear gears so it should really go go go.

82gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2010
i don't know about the trans but you will need the olds motor mounts for the engine, the chevy mounts will not work

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
You will need to do reverse of gbodies that came wit the sbo 307...get some cutlass frame mounts and the motor should drop in...In regards to the bop th350 bolting the stock X-member I say it should all you will need to relocate it to the other holes on your frame..

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I think it's a good project. Old's mounts, headers "may" fit since the "A-G" and "F" bodies have similar frame geometry and the application chart shows they fit 68' to 77' "A" bodies, cross-members are easy to modify if need be but I'm sure you could snag a stock T-350 cross-member easy enough. It surely would be different. You may even be able to use the Firebird motor mounts if you are willing to weld or bolt them in where they land, though as posted, Olds "A,G" mounts are available.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Actually, the Th350 is almost the same length as the 200R4, and either way i can make it work. I'll either just drill new holes, or get a different crossmember. I could always TRY using the trans ams crossmember.

Engine mounts, if i could use the trans ams mounts that would rock, because i have an extra set brand new in the box. If all else i'll just buy a set of mounts that will bolt in. Welding is out of the option right now. If i could use a set of solids i would haha.

I need to call holley today, and i'm going to post on trans am county. If anybody with an olds 403 out there has ever used hooker headers please post and let me know. As of right now this weekend i'm getting the cars ready to trade places. Thursday i'll be pulling the engine and trans back out of the bird, and getting the mighty monte ready to tow out. :twisted:

It'll feel so god damn good to see this engine in a car that doesn't need 2/3rd of its body panels replaced. You guys have no idea, this car was a train wreck. It's not bad now, still needs a fender grilles door skin and one quarter panel. I just came do a decision last night, if i don't do something with my MCSS now i won't be able to for along time. I didn't spend all that money on suspension to let it sit in boxs for the next two years.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I hear you an the TA. My 77's doors are rusted but I have spares. The rear frame rail is shot and I haven't had the time to drop the tank and rear end to get at it. I love Firebirds but they are a b*tch to work on.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Definitely... It doesn't help that you can't even fit your head under one without having it on jack stands. :roll:

I'm starting to hate my F body... Mostly because I'm frustrated that I can't do anything with it right now. :(

Luckily mine is very solid other than the front floors... I'm starting to consider selling it.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Hate to burst the bubble, but the headers from a 73-77 A body won't fit into a g body with out modificaion, they're huge, if they're the ones I think they are, the two rear primary tubes on the passenger side would be through the heater box. G body headers are needed, but the hedmans fit very nice, I put mine on with no tweaking or denting what so ever, not a bad price either. Frame pads can be obtained from a B body, or g (there is a left and right :mrgreen: ), I've also herad that some olds equipped cadillacs had sbc mounts so that may allow you to keep the mounts that are currently bolted to your frame, if you could find one of these cars.

Black Sheep

Master Mechanic
Sep 24, 2010
Waynesville, Ohio
You need g-body olds headers, g-body olds frame mounts (I have a set if you need them), if you have a stock th350 crossmember for the monte, it will work. The frame mounts for the olds engine in T/A's and caddies LOOK like sbc mounts, but they are different. Rearends are different, T/A is leaf sprung and wider. Cheaper and easier to swap in a 8.8 ford if you don't have a g-body 8.5.

If you need help, I can walk you thru it. Done it many times. I'm also on TA country, same screen name.

Gregg

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
I appreciate the help guys. I hate to put thees new headers by the waste side, because they cost 300$ but if it's gotta happen, then it's gotta happen. oldsmoletick you're not bursting any bubbles, just saving me a ton of work lol.

I will actually need a set of mounts, so I'll be PMing you.

Like i said, the only crossmembers i have are the MCSS original, which was used for a 200R4, and the trans ams.

Yeah i'm leaving my 7.5 in there.

Alright. Headers aside, I'm going to go through with this.

The first thing i'll need will be motor mounts.

Second, a new set of headers.

Third, if the crossmember i have won't work I'll just make it work by sliding it forward, and drilling new mount holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor