The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero

has spark has fuel but wont start

Articles about swapping engines and anything related, mounts, exhaust considerations etc.
derek87cutty
n00b

has spark has fuel but wont start

Postby derek87cutty on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:53 am

This motor is on my last nerve. What I have is a small block 350 bored .060 over with flat top hypertonic pistons I-beam rods and crank .010 under. Has a torker II intake and a holley 750 vacuum secondary. And just a regular hei distributor. The problem is that it won't run. I think I've tried just about everything I can think of. Tried filling the Carb bowls so I know that there is fuel going in it. Pull the plugs and watch them spark. And it has good compression. But still won't start and I know all the fuel that I dump through the intake burns. Now I just need some more ideas on what I can check for.

JustinD
Apprentice

Re: has spark has fuel but wont start

Postby JustinD on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 am

Check the dist? Is it 180* out?
1981 Monte Carlo
GM 383
TH350 2800 stall

2001 Chevy 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
SCIV 1056
II Silver Bullet 66mm
12.65 @ 105

derek87cutty
n00b

Postby derek87cutty on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:28 am

It's on time only about 2 degrees off. It will kinda run off of starting fluid

Dugan
Master Mechanic

Postby Dugan on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:52 am

Sounds like timing or bad firing order... Check your wires.

454cutlass
G Body Guru

Postby 454cutlass on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:07 am

is the cam degreed properly when the motor was built

derek87cutty
n00b

Postby derek87cutty on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:22 am

Yea wires are good along with the degree would a bad coil still give it spark but not enough to make it run

454cutlass
G Body Guru

Postby 454cutlass on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:32 am

have you tried turning the dis as someone else is craking the car over. sonetimes they are a bit finicky

rustyroger
G Body Guru

Postby rustyroger on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:37 am

If it "kinda runs" on starting fluid I'd hazard a guess the gas isn't making fron the carb to the cylinders.

Roger.
'87 Olds Delta 88.

G-Body_Vet
Royal Smart Person

Postby G-Body_Vet on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:39 am

SPARK:
1. I'd start by making sure #1 is firing on COMPRESSION, then double check the wires for correct firing order. What you're describing sounds like 180 off and I've seen people beat their head against it many times over when they thought they were 100% sure it was timed correctly. I'm not doubting your mechanical aptitude but it never hurts to re-check.
TDC with #1 at compression, rotor firing on #1 terminal.
A faulty ignition module can cause this too. People think a spark is a spark right? Not necessarily. Worst comes to worst, you can pull the module and have it tested for free at most auto parts stores.

FUEL:
2. Disconnect the fuel pump outlet line to the carb, run a hose into a coffee can/jug or whatever and make sure you have fuel when it's cranking. If you're not getting anything to the carb, work backwards until you find the problem. I've seen dry-rotted fuel hose between the tank and hard lines cause this too. Of course, make sure you aren't just out of gas.

3. If you have fuel, make sure the filter is installed in the right flow direction.

VACUUM:
4. If that's not it, check for massive vacuum leaks (such as the brake booster outlet on the carb or PCV).

If none of that works, I'd be curious if the cam or timing chain is installed wrong.

Ringers
G Body Guru

Postby Ringers on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Yes, definately pull number one plug, roll it over with your finger over the hole until you feel compression. At that point you can stick something rigid into the spark plug hole, like a screwdriver, or the likes. Roll it on over BY HAND!! until the piston stops pushing the screwdriver out of the hole. When you get to TDC, kinda roll it back and forth, with the screwdriver being your indicator, until you feel you are EXACTLY TDC. Check your timing marks. You may have a slipped elastomer ring or the wrong timing marks. If so, make new ones now. Pull your dizzy cap, verify your rotor location. Wire it accordingly. Clockwise, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, UNLESS you have a 7-4 swap cam, which we run in our race motors. Then it's 1-8-7-3-6-5-4-2. Better harmonics. Did YOU build the motor? Did you have compression while rotating the engine over on the engine stand? You may have the cam 180 out too. Start your diagnostics simply. I had my Ass HANDED to me on a super trick Camaro the other day. I would check for spark, by pulling the coil wire out of the cap and it would run. Plug it in and it would die. Turned out the carbon tip was gone from the cap. Don't ask my why it would run with the wire pulled and held 3/8" away from the cap, but it did. We threw on a replacement cap and it runs like a champ. Also , if it's a fresh motor, with a flat tappet cam, you better figure this one out quick, or you will grind your new cam into the dirt. Roller cam? Your only issue will be wearing your starter out! Cheeres and let us know- Matt

GhettoRacingKid
Royal Smart Person

Postby GhettoRacingKid on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Subbing for the drama.... lol

same as above. check all that.

derek87cutty
n00b

Postby derek87cutty on Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:46 pm

just want to say thanks to all for the help. went back through and checked every little thing it ended up being the cap. it had some corrosion on the points so i sanded it all off now the car runs great beside the little rocker tick but im getting around to that. thanks again for all the help

rustyroger
G Body Guru

Postby rustyroger on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks for letting us know you fixed it.
My guess at the problem was wrong, I've learned something as well.

Roger.
'87 Olds Delta 88.

derek87cutty
n00b

Postby derek87cutty on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Now i have a different problem lol can't find how to fix the hazards or where the fuse is

Return to Engine / Swaps etc.