78 Grand Prix resurrection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetastelingers

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2013
Soddy Daisy
Picked this car up from a friend I have known since Elementary school and hung out with since High School.
It has sat for about 15 or 18 years.
We built the car in high school then again after.
Installed the gauges after the new engine build and it only has 560 or so miles on the odometer. :lol:

Currently it has 455 with roller cam, lifters, rockers, high output heads, aluminum intake with Holley 750 carb and headers that were reworked to work with that engine.
The TH400 was built as well as the rear end. It has a 9" rear with detroit locker and strange axles if I remember correctly.
I happened to be in the car YEARS AGO when he was doing a burnout and hit second gear shattering the stock rear. :eek: Had to walk home to get the trailer on that one.

The car will stay in his garage until after the first of the year. That is when we will get into our new house and garage.

The plan is to change all fluids, install new fuel lines, brake lines, hoses, belts, etc... and get the car running. Have some fun and tinker with it.

Here are some pictures I took last night.

Lots of work but a great platform to start with.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
Nice score man! You should have lots of fun with it. :mrgreen:

cyrus_the_great

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2009
IRAN
thetastelingers said:
cyrus_the_great said:
nice gp but i don't like those cracks on the dash... what 's these wheels exactly?

Can you get dash pads for these cars any more?

The wheels are 15x7 and 15x8 Weld drag stars.

nice rims , how about replacing whole dash

thetastelingers

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2013
Soddy Daisy
cyrus_the_great said:
thetastelingers said:
cyrus_the_great said:
nice gp but i don't like those cracks on the dash... what 's these wheels exactly?

nice rims , how about replacing whole dash

If I can find one. If not, I may just wrap it in Alcantera.
Been wanting to wrap something. This may be it.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
thetastelingers said:
cyrus_the_great said:

A very rarely seen GP dash that has cracks.... good luck finding one in the junk yard...all the non Pontiac owners took them for their chevy's, olds, buick etc.. to make them look better inside. :rofl:

the ghoul

Master Mechanic
Dec 18, 2012
Good stuff,
Whats the game plan, genral clean and repair?

I dont see anything but cracked dash pads here in michigan!
I submitted a how to on a dash cap install basically what I did and it worked really well was filled in all the cracks and weak spots with fiberglass impregnated body filler before instaling the cap. I wonder if it would work jast as well with the wrap your thinking about?

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have a perfect GP dash that I'd be willing to sell.

itsnicyo

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2013
Tampa
Nice score! I always loved the GPs. Chrome bumper solidifies American Muscle ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor