403 performance advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solidhank

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2011
So I'm building an olds 403. I'm collecting parts as machine work is getting done. I'm pretty well through the machining process. Had it bored .030 over got mondello high compression pistons. The times coming to pick heads and a cam. As far as the cam goes I'm pretty well set on .250/.256. The heads mainly where it's a toss up I'm debating on edlebrock heads with 77cc chamber, which with my set up will take me to what I believe to be around 10.2:1, or 350 #7 heads or the #7a heads. I've heard the edlebrock vs 350 heads is pretty close but I truly wouldn't know. So if anyone can throw in some input that'd be awesome. So yeah tell me what you think and thanks in advance!

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Solidhank said:
So I'm building an olds 403. I'm collecting parts as machine work is getting done. I'm pretty well through the machining process. Had it bored .030 over got mondello high compression pistons. The times coming to pick heads and a cam. As far as the cam goes I'm pretty well set on .250/.256. The heads mainly where it's a toss up I'm debating on edlebrock heads with 77cc chamber, which with my set up will take me to what I believe to be around 10.2:1, or 350 #7 heads or the #7a heads. I've heard the edlebrock vs 350 heads is pretty close but I truly wouldn't know. So if anyone can throw in some input that'd be awesome. So yeah tell me what you think and thanks in advance!

Personally, I would buy the Pro Comp aluminum heads. I have worked #5's on my 403 that easily cost $1500 to get them where they are. They are heavier than Edelbrocks or Procomp, likely flow less and require a lower compression ratio. If you go Procomp, have someone qualified check guides and install valves and fresh springs. There are a lot of guys out there using them with good results.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Check out http://www.realoldspower.com you'll find more than you'll every want to know there...
Dr. Dan know's a thing or two on these and has some impressive 403 builds.
I'm building one now with stock pistons and ported #5's and I am currently considering:
Ultradyne H15 231/239 @ .050 517/541 lift on a 110 installed at 105.5
Or a couple Dr Dan is running in his '83 & '84 H/Os:
Comp 236/[email protected] 538/528 lift on a 110 installed at 105
Custom Ultradyne 219/[email protected] 489/499 lift on a 112

With #5-7 64cc heads you need to run stock pistons, running flat top pistons is gonna give you 11.5:1 compression and won't run without pinging with an iron head.
A 77cc head will get you just shy of 10.1:1
Both with a .040 head gasket...
.027 will get you 12:1 and 10.4:1 subsequently...
What are the specifics on the pistons?
Hope you got them from the real Mondello performance shop @ http://www.mondello.com and not from Lynn at mondellotwister.com

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
If you buy Procomp heads buy them bare and have your machine shop work them for you. They come from China and the finished one's have been very bad.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
What the heck is a .250/.256 cam? Also you cannot choose a can before knowing what your CR is amongst other things and your CR is going to be totally different depending on whether you use aluminum heads or early 350 heads.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
jociha said:
If you buy Procomp heads buy them bare and have your machine shop work them for you. They come from China and the finished one's have been very bad.
Best thing to do is buy them from Bernard Mondello, Joe's son, he is not affiliated with Lynn at mondellotwister.com, avoid that vendor, he bought Joes name and soiled it.
He specializes in ProComp heads and usually sells them with all the required machine work and ready to run for $1200 which is a deal.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/bernardmondello ... 7675.l2562

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
This question seems so ridiculous from a cheap person's perspective... Why spend thousands on iffy parts for a fractional gain in performance when the old 350 heads work just fine for hundreds of dollars less and offer better longevity? So what if they are a few pounds heavier - that's what gives them the reliability and longevity they are known for. The choice seems obvious to me...

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
pencero said:
This question seems so ridiculous from a cheap person's perspective... Why spend thousands on iffy parts for a fractional gain in performance when the old 350 heads work just fine for hundreds of dollars less and offer better longevity? So what if they are a few pounds heavier - that's what gives them the reliability and longevity they are known for. The choice seems obvious to me...

Well your are partly right, pro comps also known as pro star and a couple other names are iffy, I would never run them but if you have a good quality set of aluminum heads, there are a couple good brands out there, they probably flow better on there worst day out of the box then a quality worked over set of iron heads would do on there best day. In the end it is all about the money, you can spend a lot of money porting iron heads.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
jociha said:
pencero said:
but if you have a good quality set of aluminum heads, there are a couple good brands out there, they probably flow better on there worst day out of the box then a quality worked over set of iron heads would do on there best day.

What heads are those???
Bulldogs, Rocket Racing and Knowlton heads are probably the only ones that might flow better in a raw form comparison but are pretty much out of the scope for a street build like this.

Procomps and Ebrocks pretty much flow the same as C heads out of the box, the benefit is that they are aluminum and you can run higher compression.

There are guys running 9's on ported C heads...

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
:oops: I thought he was building the engine for a daily driver in which case the $1500 ported heads would be a little absurd on the street. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor