Fuel Tank Vent

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Door350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2009
Ottawa Valley
What types of things have you guys done to vent your gas tank?

I have heard that vented caps can cause some fuel leakage back there.

I would like to get rid of the charcoal canister if possible.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
4Door350 said:
What types of things have you guys done to vent your gas tank?

I have heard that vented caps can cause some fuel leakage back there.

I would like to get rid of the charcoal canister if possible.

I know some cars, not sure if all do, have a bypass valve for the vent line to the charcoal canister. It prevents fuel from running up the vent line if you fill the car up too much.

The guy who I got my car off of just left the vent tube open up front and I have had no problems.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I got rid of the vapor canister when I installed my 455.
I removed as much of the hardline that went from the can down into the frame channel and pinched the remainder shut.
I then went to the back of the car, and unhooked the hardline from the rubber line that goes into the tank. I used one of those little plastic rear axle vents and slid that into the rubber line, and then tucked the line back up under the heat sheild.

No leaks, no gas smell, no problems.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Doesn't one of the lines from the charcoal canister go directly to a vacuum port on the intake?

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
One comes from the tank. One goes to the distributor vacuum port usually, the other goes to the bowl vent on the carb. The last one goes to the PCV valve.

That is most setups, some vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor