Fuel issue - Stumped

starliner

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2023
Update:

New sending unit should be here today.

Crazy but stock, the vent line is 5/16, andreturn is 1/4. (Stock.)

After dropping the tank I saw lots of fuel hose possible issues which I have corrected.

I will update my results after test drive.

Reactions: 1 users

starliner

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2023
Don't worry too much about going with garbage can diameter fuel line just yet. Work with what you have. Find and SOLVE the issue before throwing money and parts at it. I mean, even as well-intentioned as it is, we here still act like a government- spending other people's money. :) If you find out the fuel line is "hosed", then fix what's broke. Nickel/Copper line actually works pretty well as a fuel line. I wouldn't ever use plain copper alone as a fuel line. As with any fuel line, route it away from heat sources and keep it from vibration wear.

While a cat converter pluggage issue is not out of the question, if it revs well and is repsonsive to the throttle while unloaded, then it's likely not your cat clogging. That pancake style converter that's under there is pretty archaic though. Easiest way IMO, to determine if your cat is clogging is to run the engine with a vacuum gage attached to the intake somewhere. Start slowly increasing engine RPMs and if vacuum goes away or runs toward zero or engine dies, then you MIGHT have to investigate a cat clog. If you still have good vacuum, and the engine isn't choking, it's unlikely there's a clog.
Great things to chect. I need to hook up the guage to set the carb anyway, but yeah, when cold, she runs like a champ.

I posted a quick update below.

I really value the time that you have taken to share your knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Are you sure it's only fuel issues? Don't rule out ignition problems. Something sitting around for that long gathers moisture/corrosion in places you can't see. If you've installed new ignition module with heat sink grease, cap and rotor, you may be fine. What about ignition timing? Vacuum advance can? Is all that junk working correctly?
Have you had a look into what "69hurstolds" had mentioned?

Things have and will go wonky when an engine or its related components heat up.

You mentioned it runs like a champ when cold, at leats its not a starting issue, but i would also suggest having a look at your distributor's ignition module, that heatsink paste will dry up after years of use and the heat conductivity will be less effective causeing the module to overheat and cause issue. if you havent replaced the thermo solution, many have used name brand CPU thermopaste, but i prefer to use...

Dow Corning 340 Heat Sink Compound - https://www.thermalfluidshub.com/product/dow-corning-340-heat-sink-compound/

350Regal

Apprentice
Feb 23, 2022
Just out of curiosity, did it run prior to the carb cleaning? Was it the same? I seen another member say it as well but did you check the paper filter in the carb? If you have another person available, unhook fuel hose near the engine and crank it, does the fuel come out nice or slow? Nice looking clean ride

starliner

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2023
Have you had a look into what "69hurstolds" had mentioned?

Things have and will go wonky when an engine or its related components heat up.

You mentioned it runs like a champ when cold, at leats its not a starting issue, but i would also suggest having a look at your distributor's ignition module, that heatsink paste will dry up after years of use and the heat conductivity will be less effective causeing the module to overheat and cause issue. if you havent replaced the thermo solution, many have used name brand CPU thermopaste, but i prefer to use...

Dow Corning 340 Heat Sink Compound - https://www.thermalfluidshub.com/product/dow-corning-340-heat-sink-compound/

Oh yeah, I remember that compound failing on one of my plow trucks 30 years ago.

Definitely if after buttoning up the fuel tank today, I will definitely go to electrical. But on my last test drive, when it quit, I checked and the carb wasn't squirting. That was good news because the symptoms could have been flooding as much as a starvation because both feel the same.

The inline filter was 1/2 full and as the fuel came back in, (while sutting), air was bubbling up from below.

Today is the day. Wish me luck. If I have to go to electrical, so be it.

Update later. Thanks.

starliner

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2023
FIXED.

After dropping the tank, I figured I would replace the sending unit while cleaning up the lines and hoses. I ran air from the frint to make sure the lines weren't blocked. I put better hoses up at the fuel pump and routed them better.

Finally, I am running great.
I really appreciate all the help. I learned a bunch

Attachments

• 17152906703593220677718537169099.jpg
    17152906703593220677718537169099.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: 1 users

starliner

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 25, 2023
Just out of curiosity, did it run prior to the carb cleaning? Was it the same? I seen another member say it as well but did you check the paper filter in the carb? If you have another person available, unhook fuel hose near the engine and crank it, does the fuel come out nice or slow? Nice looking clean ride

Sorry 350, I meant to answer. It ran the same prior to the carb rebuild. Yup, new filters and steady strong flow.

It was hoses and/or sending unit.
Done.
Thank you very much.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor