Never Too Old To Learn- Seal That Solenoid

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Interesting find, at least for me. Some of you may have already known this, but I never did. When I've replaced starters or worked on them for my own cars, I would get new starter (Delcos came with solenoids already attached) and bolt it up. Easy peasy.

I was contemplating on rebuilding my original OE unit with Delco junk like I did the alternator, so I did something I don't usually do. Read the tech manual about the starter motor. While I knew a lot about the starter mechanicals, the electrical part was mainly what I was trying to learn more about. Testing stuff for the most part. Anyway, I ran across something that sorta makes sense, but TBH, I've never known about it before. And that's sealing the solenoid area where it bolts up against the housing.

The sealer called out in the CSM is the old, now defunct, gasket sealer that's been used for millions of cars. Sealer GM p/n 1050026. I'm pretty sure Permatex non-hardening sealer will do the job just as well, however. It's strange that I recall the can the stuff used to come in looked EXACTLY like the Permatex sealer can, except for the GM label on it. I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing like most things, Permatex made the sealer for GM. Regardless, good luck getting a can of that junk since it's been disco'ed for a while now.

Just a thin film. The starter also uses the same as the distributors and alternators as far as bushing lube, GM p/n 1960954. Although by today's standards, Mobil 1 full-synthetic grease NGLI should work just fine as probably better substitute. I've seen lithium grease used on Chevy box store rebuilds, though. A 1 lb. tub of that can be had at Otter Zone, or just about anywhere for about 11 bucks. Point is, it's one of those deals where you don't lube the bushings every day, and need a long lasting grease that will hang in there for the long haul.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share a tid-bit I learned about solenoid sealing with the stuff out of the CSM. Something I've personally never done, nor even knew about. Funny, never had an issue with it anyway.

1715261317868.png

Reactions: 8 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Certainly can tell the age of that document. Now starter repair is ‘no problem found’ or ‘replace’

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Starters seem hella easy to rebuild, as long as the main electricals are in good shape and you use quality parts. I've just never rebuilt one before. Just a longer alternator with a gear on it, just about. Delco units were remanufactured using new parts and those things were a no-brainer due to the cost factor. But as far as availability of those old school Delco starters nowadays, the price factor may not be so bad even when getting Delco junk. Surprisingly, you can find almost everything for a Delco starter. Unless I'm missing something, though, I hadn't seen any manufacture date codes or anything that would make you want to rebuild an original G-body starter to keep it "OEM" looking.

What I'm scared of the most is the A.I.R. pumps. Those things have NO parts support except for rebuilders, but there's not much to them. And brittle azz pieces that you have to be careful of. The front bearings have plastic retainers that are liquid injected during assembly. If the front bearing is good, and the plastic fan is in good shape, there's hope. Otherwise, you have to hunt.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor