10 bolt rear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2005
Sierra Vista, AZ
I have a 78 Malibu with the 7.5 10 bolt rear. I would like to put the 8.5 10 bolt in it. When looking for a replacement what type of car and what years should I look for? Thanks, Todd

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I think the only cars that had the 8.5 rear were the Grand Nationals/GNX and possibly the 442's and H/O's. I'm not sure if the SS's could be had with them or not. And then only the mid-later years like '82-'83 on up, not positive on the years though.

dragginwagon406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2005
I have not seen an 8.5" in a G-body wagon yet and be careful as most full size wagons use a unique 10 bolt that looks like an 8.5" but is actually an 8.875". I have an A-Body (75 Olds 442) rear end in my 81 Malibu. Not exactly a direct bolt-in deal, but it can be done. The person who did mine fabbed 9" housings on the side and he had a jig set up mimicing the actual car. From there he attached the lower mounts and spring pockets. Then the upper control arm need to be shortened and staggered outward to make up for the added width of the center section. The rear end is 3" wider than stock which can accounted for with additional back spacing. I had my Olds Ralleye wheels widened inward 1.5" to make up the difference. I have copied a set of these for a friend and they worked out great. Also, don't forget the coil springs from a Caprice Wagon as they are a cheap alternative to an after market spring - ride height in virtually unchanged, but the rate is much higher.

I'm sure the same technique can be used on a '77 & up Caprice rearends as well - some of these have the 8.5" and are probably one of the most plentifull cars in scrap yards.

driverssideuppercontrolarm2cc.jpg

passengersideuppercontrolarm8w.jpg

boxeduppercontrolarm8ty.jpg

differentialcover3ia.jpg

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Only G-bodies to have the 8.5" rear stock were the 84 H/O, 85-87 442 (3.73 gears) and the 84-87 turbo regals (3.42 gears). Posi was still an option. SS's were never available with the 8.5" rear.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
I have also read that some of the Pontiac G-Bodies also had 8.5" 10 bolts but I can't confirm that. I have also read that some G-Body wagons had the 8.5 but I doubt that that is correct. I bolted in a 8.5 from a Buick GN in my Elky with no mods except to shorten the drive shaft 1".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor