Pgh, PA
Still troubleshooting with Dakota
Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Had to put troubleshooting on hold cause the ignition cylinder is acting up again, my buddy had a trick to shake the key up and and down to get it to unlock the column. I have not been quite as successful trying the last 2 nights, getting close to just breaking it
angry better call saul GIF

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Accessing the tumbler in the steering column is a Monumental PITA but if the tumbler is jacking you around then Pulling the steering wheel and lifting the turn signal mechanism may be the only solution that fixes the problem. You smash the cylinder gets you going but also looks real hinky to a cop who just happens to be curious for no particular reason.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
that's tough in the sun,have you given any thought to running a tarp from your place over the car? by making a lean too/tent of sorts it will keep some of the heat off the surface(and yourself) and buying you a little more work time in the process.
I did, at least something to that effect anyway. I don't . . But maybe do have anything to stake it too. I'll have to look further into what I can do.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
I am almost at home base here, spent the today and a few days prior trying to beat the heat and get the primer coats on while fighting flash rust. I am also using the Fiberglass Bondo to fill in area's I can't get to or other wise fill with the primer, at times I have had to use it over the area I have primer sprayed on, including (pictured) the area I had to fill in behind the Driver/Left Door which was a bit wavy in one area, it's straight enough now. Tomorrow is suppose to get hot real fast so I am going to try setting up the replacement Welder and patch the area I cut. If this welder works unlike the first one I purchase from Harbor Freight, there is another small area on the passenger fender I will have to cut out and patch up too. After finally finishing sanding off the paint I had put on prior I ended up with a nasty burn on my shoulders that I had to deal with by taking a few days off and lots of Noxzema with moisturizer. The burn is peeling now, thus with a cloudy day today I was able to get this much done. Almost ready for paint and now I have to plan how I am going to setup the Stripes I bought.

20240614_202618[1].jpg 20240614_202636[1].jpg 20240614_202655[1].jpg 20240614_202630[1].jpg

Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Got the annoying bolts on the headers tight, motor mount bolts tight, copper transmission lines in (temporarily permanent), radiator in, rad hoses on, etc etc etc.
it will hopefully be up and running tonight (saturday).

Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Don't let the clouds delude you, the human skin can burn just as easily in cloudy conditions as it can under undiluted sunshine. Last visit to the pharmacy down south netted me a tube of SPF70! grade sunscreen! and I use the stuff. A sun burn is just that, a burn. The skin has been damaged to the point where the body jetisons it as dead and goes into repair/replacement mode. Skin Cancers and melinomas are becoming far more common because we don't treat the sun with respect. We also ignore the fact that our world is getting hotter and sun burn is becoming easier to incur.

Multiple decades ago, I knew a girl whose sister decided the fastest way to get a tan was to slather herself with some kind of cooking oil. She fell asleep in the sun and woke up hours later with first and second degree burns to her skin. Her family ended up buying antiseptic burn lotion by the case, pouring it into the family bathtub, and she had to lay in the tub, coated with the stuff, for several weeks before the pain subsided. Couldn't move,had to even sleep in the tub!! Lesson learned.

Nice work on the body and primer. You planning to try and erect a temporary shelter of some kind for the color shot?

• Wow

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Couldn't do a thing on the Malibu today, not with Wind 15-20 mph and Gusts around 30 mph not too mention high heat fairly early in morning. I did however get the Welder I replaced setup, it's working and Spooled the line through. Tomorrow is supposed to be calmer I'll get to welding the patch I cut out on the rear quarter but there will be a few more pieces I will have to cut to fill it in, going to be interesting to see if my plan for the what and how on these angles works out.

20240615_180207[1].jpg

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Regal runs, makes good oil pressure. Room temp 10w30 cold idle is over 80, might turn the regulator down... Real test is hot highway pressure
I've been siphoning the gas from it as it had a full tank when I pulled the drivetrain, but called it quits when i couldn't find my ****in funnel. Too dark to check for leaks anyway.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor