Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
stupid questio alert! need a reminder, what are good 1/8mi times and speeds? i usually only hear import idiots talk about it so they can say they had a 12 sec run, but i am starting to hear it more.

whatsup

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2007
Iowa
Thats a wide open question...I guess that depends on what you consider a good time in the 1/4. It also depends on what the car is setup for...a true 1/8th mile car will have a hard time making it through the 1/4....and a 1/4 mile car may not show impressive numbers in the 1/8th. I have always used the rule of thumb being 4 seconds....it will get you close. For me since mid 11's are my goal, I would be happy with mid to low 7's in the 1/8th. I would be looking at somwhere from 95-low 100's for mph. Hope that helps.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
that's what i was looking for. i hear people talk about a 10-12 sec dragstrip time. pretty good right? then you find out it was in the 1/8, not so impressive. the 4sec thing seems pretty good.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
In my car, I am shooting for low 8's in the 1/8th which would probably put me in the high 12's in the 1/4. Unfortunately, I have only run it once and it had a loose battery cable connection at the starter and would break up at anything over 3500rpm and I could only get a 9.3 out of it ( I think that's mid 14's). I fixed that the next week and then proceeded to drop a washer down the intake with the engine running and had to tear it down. I also changed the cam, rear gearing and rockers as well as the carb at that time and the car is down for paint now, so, to make a long story short, I am dying to know what it runs now and how much more I need to do to run the numbers I am after. Anyhow, to convert 1/8 to 1/4, the generally accepted factor is 1.57. So, multiply your 1/8 mile by 1.57 to get the 1/4. In my example, 9.3(1.57)=14.6. Not bad for an open diff and no ability to rev. However, traction is not taken into account as the effect of the 60 foot time on overall ET is somewhat diminished over the longer track since you have more time to "fix" it with a better top end. So, if my engine was running right and I ran that same crappy 9.3 in the 1/8 with a 2.2 sec 60 foot ( what I ran!) it may have actually run a 14.2 or 14.1 because of the greater traction in the higher gears. It's not an exact science because of the vehicle dynamics involved and how they change over a given period of time. It is why a car can have a bad leave relative to another car, but given enough track can run it down by the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor