12" brakes-need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
ok so i bought brackets to mount ls1 calipers onto my stock g body spindels, the guy who sold them to me was using them with the hub of the original rotor with the slide on ls1 rotor on it which works but can be expensive and also offsets your wheels more then i want. is there any reason why i cant run a 1LE rotor with ls1 calipers? the 1LE rotor is 12" and i think that it will bolt right onto a g body spidle from what i have figured out. if this will work that makes these conversions a walk in the park which makes me wonder if there is a reason that its not being done already......

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
It should ony offset the wheel about 1/8", right? The thickness of the rotor hat. And my guess is that since the stock rotor is only 10.5" diam and the 12" 1le is 1.5" larger in diam or .75" larger radius, that the caliper won't bolt to spindle directly and sit in the ideal area for contact with the rotor. I've done this type of swap, but with the C5 vette brakes. I cut the ears off the spindle. Bolted the adapter brackets to the spindle, turned the rotor on a lathe until I had a hub only, installed longer wheel studs, slid the rotor on, mounted the caliper and off I went.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i think the offset is more like 3/8 of a inch. i was planning to cut the ears off of the spindle no matter what so it should clear the spindels just fine. the original plan was to use the rotors the way you did but i can get the 1LE rotors for almost the same price and no mods would be needed from what i can tell. they use the same bearings from what i have figured out so i see no reason why it would not work. the only thing that could be a issue is where the rotor is positioned......

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Only 1 way to find out. the adapter bracket may push it out too far and not center the rotor in the caliper. Let us know, though.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
everything is ordered if this all works then i got one hell of a cheap upgrade, i spent 45 shipped on brackets, 51 shipped for ls1 camaro front calipers w/ mounting brackets, 76 shipped for camaro 1le front slotted/drilled rotors bringing the total to 172 but i still need pads and ss lines to complete it, still very cheap! i am also using 1le rear 12" discs, i got the calipers and brackets for 30 bucks at the salvage yard and it will cost me about 90 shipped for the slotted/drilled rotors. over all i have all wheel 12" discs for under 350 bucks. worst case is i have to sell the front rotors and get the ls1 rotors and pay a little to mill down the stock rotor into a hub. i will keep you guys posted! 8)

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i am not sure yet but it appears that this wont help. but, i did pick up a s10 dual piston spindle setup. so i now have a complete zq8 set up, new pair of 1le slotted/drilled rotors, ls1 calipers, brckets to adapt the calipers to spindle........... back to the drawing board!! does anybody know who sells ls1 or c5 brackets for either spindle???

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
all the research i did, said to install B body ( caprice) spindles when converting to 1LE rotors .....( chevy highperf. super chevy etc...)
so I did it , and it works great !

does this mean I could have kept my original spindles ?
anyone tried before ?
Dan

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
did you do the control arm upgrade?? they say it screws up your geometry if you dont but i also heard that is a myth.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor