1978 Malibu wheels & tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdtayloriv

n00b
Oct 8, 2008
Does anyone know what the largest wheel I can fit on a 78 Malibu is? I was told I can use an 8" wheel with 3 1/2" backspace and put 28.0 x 10.5 - 15 tire. Any help on the front would be appericated also.

wow i wish i remembered what was on my car i know that i am runnin about as big as you can on the front without rolling the fenders or anythgin

If you have stock length rear end the best wheel is an original 8" wide corvette rallye wheel. They are 15 X 8" with a 4" backspacingand work very well. If you want an aftermarket wheel you will have to settle for either 3.5" b.s. or 4.5" b.s.. and unfortunately they either make the tires hit the fender lip or rub the frame. Aslo when trying on new wheels etc... dont forget that the rearend is offset to the right a little in these cars from the factory so check for fender clearance on the right (pass) side and frame clearance on the left (drivers)side. Good luck.

I am running weld prostars, 15x8 with a 3.5bs and a 28/11.5 Mickey thompson ET street tire for the track, no rubbing.
for the street I have 275/60 BFG radial T/A also do not rub, unless you have a full tank of gas and 3 people in the backseat

Monte Carlo '81-'88 have larger fender openings than the Malibu, so They prob fit ok. Those combos with 3.5 b.s. wheel usually don't work on a Malibu, especially if the suspension is old and sagged a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor