1979 Pontiac Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xexxkynn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 12, 2014
This my current G-Body.
I have had it since I was 16 years old. I helped my dad tear it down and rebuild it. He figured that if I had my own sweat and blood in it I would care for it more (He was right). I have it stored right now, but if it all goes right I will start rebuilding it this winter as a new project.
It has several minor issues such as a few rust spots, it needs a new bumper, exhaust, and door hinges. Otherwise it looks the same.
I couldn't find any shots of the motor that's in it, but it has a 327 in it with a Turbo 400 transmission, 650 Holly 4 barrel with headers, glass packs, and duel exhaust with turn down tips. I drove it with that motor since I was 16, my mom thought my dad was insane.

Here it is being primed for the paint.
1979GrandPrix04_zps7f6135d6.jpg

1979GrandPrix02_zps63edd40e.jpg

1979GrandPrix05_zps60f7ba2c.jpg

Here is a shot of the interior. We hand painted every piece of trim in it because a lot of it was cracked or busted, so when we replaced it we took it out of whatever G-Body we could find.
That massive seat was one of those ugly *ss swivel seats from a Monte Carlo, we sold them to a friend and got some bucket seats from a wrecked 1980 Grand Prix. We removed them because the shifter couldn't be put into low because of the size of the seat.
1979GrandPrix13_zpsc9e8bb40.jpg

Here are the new seats.
1979GrandPrix14_zps19ed2d7f.jpg

Newly painted door panels.
1979GrandPrix15_zps686b771a.jpg

Here's a few shots of the finished product. This car served me well in high school and college.
1979GrandPrix09_zps143426a0.jpg

1979GrandPrix11_zps4fab30ff.jpg

1979GrandPrix12_zps823be96a.jpg

1979GrandPrix16_zps1f1ee174.jpg

1979GrandPrix17_zps12739f4a.jpg

thetastelingers

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 20, 2013
Soddy Daisy
That thing looks good!

Thanks for mentioning where you got the seats. Mine has the bench seat right now and I'll be looking for some bucket seats that fit well in the car.

Xexxkynn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 12, 2014
Mine had a bench seat originally, but it was replaced with those huge black seats. The previous owner replaced them to put that shifter in. Where I am from we had a huge influx of G-Bodies for very cheap back when we were building this, but now most of them were turned into stock cars or crushed, it's getting hard to find any parts cars now in my neck of the woods.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
I love the two tone paint. I have a 79 GP as well. I've been slowly making upgrades and repairs but I lack the skill set unfortunately. It looks like you have a knowledge of body work, thats awesome.

Xexxkynn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 12, 2014
LOL. I have a bit of knowledge on body work and motor work. Most of the instructing is done by my father and his family. Most of them are mechanics and auto body men who race dirt track stock cars every chance they get. I just pick up every bit I can while they can teach it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor