1980 Buick Century Not Working (3.8 2 barrel N/A) HELP!!

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
Same here. I bottle fed mine, pulled the top half of the carb off, changed things, etc.. Mine had been sitting for some time, I got it going and drove it for 2-3 weeks, then it did exactly what yours is doing. My pump was barely pulling enough to keep the engine alive but the accelerator pump would squirt because the bowl got filled at least once- you'd see and hear it shoot fuel.

Until I pulled the tank I was guessing trying to diagnose the combination of problems: Ignition? Carb? Leaks? I put on 2 different fuel pumps and pulled the filter about a dozen times, in addition to other things. Two feet of bad rubber had made my car un-driveable. It may seem like a big undertaking to drop the tank but in actuality it's a few hose clamps, 2 bolts, and 2 wires for the sending unit. With the car on stands and a jack for the tank it doesn't take one person long if the tank is near empty.
Update, I pulled the gas tank out, the old lines were intact but hard and broke when I took them off, I replaced them, put the tank back on, and poured 7 gallons of fresh gas in it. Didn't solve anything, at least I replaced the lines as those needed to be replaced anyway. Basically, it only starts after a short battle cranking it and only with the choke held open, once it starts its fine. It idles and revs fine in park, although if you wait a while in between revs it will hesitate and sputter a little. It also is able to drive foward and backward, but if you but slight sudden normal pressure on the gas it will sputter stall out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Damn. My next guess will be a wild one, but it happened to me personally. Check to ensure that your engine has good ground connections to the battery and firewall. Unbeknownst to me my Suburban had no ground connections aside from the battery to the frame, and it only worked when the metal vacuum line to the trans touched the distributor base and firewall simultaneously. That was fun to diagnose because revving the gas or even the wind would affect it.

Again, wild guess, but bad grounds are common and cause havoc. Sorry to hear that the hoses weren't the culprit but at least you can check them off the list.

Reactions: 1 users

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
Damn. My next guess will be a wild one, but it happened to me personally. Check to ensure that your engine has good ground connections to the battery and firewall. Unbeknownst to me my Suburban had no ground connections aside from the battery to the frame, and it only worked when the metal vacuum line to the trans touched the distributor base and firewall simultaneously. That was fun to diagnose because revving the gas or even the wind would affect it.

Again, wild guess, but bad grounds are common and cause havoc. Sorry to hear that the hoses weren't the culprit but at least you can check them off the list.
Interesting. Im glad I replaced them though they were over do! I upgraded all my power wires to 4 gauge and have a premium alternator. Honestly, it runs fine with no load, is difficult to start, and wants to die underload. To me it sounds like a classic symptom of a crappy fuel pump. Is the fuel pump on top of the gas tank on these cars?

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Interesting. Im glad I replaced them though they were over do! I upgraded all my power wires to 4 gauge and have a premium alternator. Honestly, it runs fine with no load, is difficult to start, and wants to die underload. To me it sounds like a classic symptom of a crappy fuel pump. Is the fuel pump on top of the gas tank on these cars?
I believe it is.

Edit: They're not, I'm dumb.

Last edited:

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
I believe it is.
I think their on the side of the engine block actually. Anyway, how likely do you think it could be the fuel pump, like I said, everything else is in check, its got 140k miles and is 43 years old.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I think their on the side of the engine block actually. Anyway, how likely do you think it could be the fuel pump, like I said, everything else is in check, its got 140k miles and is 43 years old.
Haha, ya caught me slipping. I read the link that was provided after wondering if the Century used the same 3.8L engine as Chevy, and once I had block mounted pumps on the mind I responded to your message in agreement. I'm not always the brightest bulb.

Change the pump, they're cheap. Just buy one from a reputable company such as Carter.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Remove the air cleaner, plug any hoses that went to the air cleaner. Take a picture of the top of the carb when cold. Start the engine let it warm for two minutes and take a picture of the top of the carb. Warm to normal operating temperature and take a picture of the top of the carb.

Might help us diagnose things from afar.

Pc3

Master Mechanic
Nov 17, 2019
simple 1st did you replace fuel filter? if clogged will slowly seep just enough to get some fuel in bowl but dosnt flow enough to maintain engine runing.
timing just doesnt jump out of the blue your getting spark, it does start even though briefly, so lets C you have spark! FOR Sure you have air its all around us.......... kink of leaves out fuel starvation in MYHO

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
Remove the air cleaner, plug any hoses that went to the air cleaner. Take a picture of the top of the carb when cold. Start the engine let it warm for two minutes and take a picture of the top of the carb. Warm to normal operating temperature and take a picture of the top of the carb.

Might help us diagnose things from afar.
Been busy past few weeks. I will send that picture soon. I tryed starting it the other day, did the same thing with the carb held open. Sprayed some starter fluid and it still didnt start and actully backfired a little through the carb. Somehow when I closed the choke it fired right up but died when I tryed to drive it and I couldnt get it started again.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor