1980 Buick Century Not Working (3.8 2 barrel N/A) HELP!!

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
simple 1st did you replace fuel filter? if clogged will slowly seep just enough to get some fuel in bowl but dosnt flow enough to maintain engine runing.
timing just doesnt jump out of the blue your getting spark, it does start even though briefly, so lets C you have spark! FOR Sure you have air its all around us.......... kink of leaves out fuel starvation in MYHO
Changed the fuel filter, carb was professionally cleaned and tuned, new fuel lines, spark plugs work fine (tested them against the block) and are only a year old. Only thing I could think of is the fuel pump, if it was broken though, I don't think it would be able to idle at all (which it is able to).

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Changed the fuel filter, carb was professionally cleaned and tuned, new fuel lines, spark plugs work fine (tested them against the block) and are only a year old. Only thing I could think of is the fuel pump, if it was broken though, I don't think it would be able to idle at all (which it is able to).
I've killed two fuel pumps on my buick 350, they can use the same pump as a 3.8, the 3.8 arm is just a bit longer. It would idle but under any throttle at all it would starve and die.

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
I've killed two fuel pumps on my buick 350, they can use the same pump as a 3.8, the 3.8 arm is just a bit longer. It would idle but under any throttle at all it would starve and die.
How many miles did you have when it failed the first time? Did you have trouble starting it or just driving?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
How many miles did you have when it failed the first time? Did you have trouble starting it or just driving?
Probably no more than 10,000. cheap *ss chinese pump. it would hard start, take forever to pull fuel, and would run the bowl dry.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I should be out at the yard Friday. I'll grab a 2bbl, build it and send it to you. There are several 231 of that vintage out here.

Reactions: 1 users

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
Probably no more than 10,000. cheap *ss chinese pump. it would hard start, take forever to pull fuel, and would run the bowl dry.
I just unhooked the gas line and cranked the car, plenty of gas was pumping out.

Reactions: 1 user

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
I should be out at the yard Friday. I'll grab a 2bbl, build it and send it to you. There are several 231 of that vintage out here.
Thank you very much, however I don't think its the carb, I had it professionally rebuilt and tuned, its practically brand new.

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
I removed the gas line from the carb and put it in a mason jar. I then cranked the engine and plenty of fuel shot in it. Does this mean my fuel pump is fine?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I removed the gas line from the carb and put it in a mason jar. I then cranked the engine and plenty of fuel shot in it. Does this mean my fuel pump is fine?
Fuel pump is fine. Maybe too fine. It may be pumping TOO much fuel to the carb. Many of the aftermarket pumps exceed 8 psi. You really only need 5-7 psi, really. Not saying that's an issue, just a possibility.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor