CUTLASS 1981 cutlass molding/trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lburston88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 1, 2021
Good morning everyone! Below I have a picture of a gbody cutlass not sure of the year. I own a 1981 cutlass supreme and I’m looking for the body molding/trim circles below. Does anyone know if these can be purchased brand new and if so could you post a link please?

Attachments

• 389CB402-3399-475C-B8DE-EE827066A014.jpeg
    389CB402-3399-475C-B8DE-EE827066A014.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 87

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Nope. Not from any dealerships unless it’s dead stock. Or 3rd party sellers. Body shop supply paces sell side molding that looks close but not exact. You will likely need to replace it fully as using just partial pieces it won’t match the originals. The factory used adhesive backed molding so if you see rivets or screws, it’s aftermarket. Also you will need to cut bird mouths into the ends wherever the molding stops and then make wedge pieces to form the angled ends to make it look somewhat like factory.

Reactions: 1 user

Lburston88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 1, 2021
Nope. Not from any dealerships unless it’s dead stock. Or 3rd party sellers. Body shop supply paces sell side molding that looks close but not exact. You will likely need to replace it fully as using just partial pieces it won’t match the originals. The factory used adhesive backed molding so if you see rivets or screws, it’s aftermarket. Also you will need to cut bird mouths into the ends wherever the molding stops and then make wedge pieces to form the angled ends to make it look somewhat like factory.
Well I don’t have any on my car now, I just found that picture. So you’re saying they sell aftermarket adhesive backed molding pieces? Are this the generic ones at the auto parts stores in a roll? I’m just trying to add that look to my car

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You can get some aftermarket stuff that is CLOSE to factory style. But if you want it to actually look closer to the factory cuts and stuff, you'll need to do some work to it. What color is the upper paint on your car? You can get gray, black, white, light blue, and maybe some other colors. Or if your car is another shade you can get white ones and use some SEM vinyl paint and tape off the chrome part and paint the white part to match your car color.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This might be a worthwhile project. Depends if I get enough time on the side to mess with it, I'll try and make a "template" for cutting 2 door Cutlass (81-88) body side molding ends. It's quite weird. They would cut the end of the trim where they wanted it to stop using bird mouth cuts on the ends, and either extending the top chrome line with wedge cuts on some of the NOS moldings, then cut the lower chrome bead slightly shorter so the top folded back to fill in that gap without a cut line on top (best way to put that in words, I'd have to show you), or do it like the factory versions, they would just cut the birmouth out completely, then take another small chunk and cut the fill wedge to fill the end gap. This made the ends complete with a vertical chrome bead on the end. This left a finished end on 4 places on each side of the car. They only did this with the trim ends that faced the wheel wells and the very end, NOT the ones facing the door edges. The front end piece actually ON the door had a slight vertical angle cut to ensure it cleared the fender as you opened the door.

Here's a couple of pics of my 87 showing the angled cut on the door. Never measured the angle, but it doesn't have to be a major one. Don't think it's a 45 degree angle, more like 30-ish.
Body Side Moldings Picture of FRONT DOOR angle cut 1.JPG

Body Side Moldings Picture of FRONT DOOR angle cut.JPG

Here's a crude drawing of the molding measurements and info that may help. I measured 14.5" from the bottom door edge to the bottom of the molding. This drawing is for factory 81-88 Cutlass 2 door body side moldings only. Others may differ. CAVEAT: The factory didn't always measure stuff exact, as if you've ever worked on a G-body you already know this. Your measurements may vary. TIP: Always use a super sharp heavy duty knife or molding cutters and maybe a few dabs of vinyl adhesive for the wedges for best results.

Body Side Moldings Cut Pattern Layout Diagram.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor