1983 Hurst olds rear axle help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurstman1983

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2021
I need some help from the experts. 1983 Hurst Oldsmobile stock 7.5 inch rear end.
I purchased a complete set of the Oldsmobile and just received them after a 6 month wait.

Chrome ALUMINUM WHEELS SUPER STOCK II Set of 217 X 8 RIMS with 4.5" Backspacing and 217x9 RIMS with 5.125" Backspacing.​

The wheel states must use 7/16 -20 lug nuts. Since the stock axles have metric studs.
What is the best option to allow use of these wheel?
Order new axles with holes for press in 7/16 studs?
Any brand specific recommendations as there seem to be many different price points out there?
Metric base to standard 7/16 studs if there are such a thing?
Or are there other options to consider?
I appreciate any suggestions.

Again for a newbie I appreciate your help

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Can I call a friend ?

I say axles drilled for 7/16 " studs, i expect to be in the $ 300 USD ( to start ) price range for something decent for a pair of axles.
but what are you using in the centre section ? 28 spine . and for lugs.....not going to be cheap.

someone far smarter than I , will add .

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I'd test fit them first....in my past experience, 5.125" backspace is on the frame with a stock rear.

Also, G bodies through 1981 had SAE 7/16 studs

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
You just need different lug nuts. The wheels are aluminum so you can't use the steel wheel lug nuts on them.

Look at the nuts they came with are they radius seat?
radius seat.jpg

Or taper seat?
cone or taper seat.jpg

You need M 12 X 1.5 lug nuts you can get them at any auto parts store or rock auto.

Or someplace like these folks:
https://lugnutguys.com/pages/produc...ile~md_cutlass-calais~cc_lug-nuts-wheel-locks

On the 5.25 back space I agree it is likely too much might need a spacer. Which might need longer wheel studs,

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You can use the M12 studs and nuts. M12 and 7/16" studs are interchangeable.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I need some help from the experts. 1983 Hurst Oldsmobile stock 7.5 inch rear end.
I purchased a complete set of the Oldsmobile and just received them after a 6 month wait.

Chrome ALUMINUM WHEELS SUPER STOCK II Set of 217 X 8 RIMS with 4.5" Backspacing and 217x9 RIMS with 5.125" Backspacing.​

The wheel states must use 7/16 -20 lug nuts. Since the stock axles have metric studs.
What is the best option to allow use of these wheel?
Order new axles with holes for press in 7/16 studs?
Any brand specific recommendations as there seem to be many different price points out there?
Metric base to standard 7/16 studs if there are such a thing?
Or are there other options to consider?
I appreciate any suggestions.

Again for a newbie I appreciate your help
Your car came with Superstock III rims which are 15 inch. Those should bolt right on with no issues. Post some pics of your new rims. Where did you get them?

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The bolt pattern is the same, so they'll fit the lug pattern. I don't know why they insist on 7/16" lugs, that really isn't the main factor here. It's the lug nut shape and taper that really matter. Maybe it's because they're retro earlier A-body style that used 7/16" lugs? I dunno. Maybe they don't want you using 1/2" lugs or anything.

They're 17" wheels. 17 x 8 and 17 x 9. The backspacing is all fugged up on those as compared to stock, IMO. You might be good to get by with 8" wide front and rear with 4" back spacing. Maybe 4.25". If you're clearanced in the back with skinny frame rails, you may be ok.

Don't know about custom wheels anymore to even worry about it. Just give me my GM SSIII's and 16 GM #516283 lugnuts with 4 locking lugs GM #999320 (they look closest to the stainless capped nuts), and I'll see ya later at the gas station.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Are these the year one wheels ?
I looked everywhere for aftermarket SSIII wheels , found some in Australia but where discontinued “long ago” according to the rep I spoke to .
I wonder what start up cost would be to start making them again ?
Is there even a market aside from the 4-5 of us that want them ? Lol

Hurstman1983

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2021
Thanks for all of your input. I ordered the rims from g body parts. To answer one post. Of course their literature says they will fit???
I will check on the lug nut type if I don't have to change my axles that will be a real plus. Longer studs and a spacer much easier solution.
I agree mocking them up is going to be a very critical step.
Thanks for your help. Learning something new everyday.

dgmeadows

Greasemonkey
Mar 29, 2017
Georgia
Just seeing this thread, so forgive me if I am raising a dead issue. Year One sells the metric lug nuts for those wheels which have the same taper/radius. I bought the same set direct from Year One with the 7/16" lug nuts because my car is a 1979 and has 7/16" OEM, but I picked up an 84 Hurst Olds 8.5" rear and it had the metric studs. We tried to swap out the 7/16" studs from the 79 axle, but it was a loose fit and we were going to have to spot weld the 7/16" studs in. Not wanting to do that, I just bought the metric lug nuts for the rear. So, I have 7/16" on the front and metric on the rear. Not a big deal since I bought 8" for front and 9" for rear, so I won't be doing back to front rotation anyway.

On the fitment, I bought a set of aluminum spacers from Year One when I got the wheels, and they did use them on the rear wheels. While you are ordering the metric lug nuts, you should probably get a set of those spacers as well. I'd suggest ordering direct from Year One, as that will skip a step in the shipping and get them to you quicker, again assuming you haven't already resolved this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor