1987 Monte SS Carb swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2008
Hi, I hope someone can help
I replaced the original Rochester Carb on my 1987 Monte SS
with a Edelbrock 650 carb not sure what to do with the vaccume
lines had to take off the egr and block it off I plugged a couple of the vaccume lines and hooked some to the carb but now it pops through the carb every time I try to accelerate.
What did I do wrong???
Can anyone help?
Thanks.

A picture is worth a thousand words. I would really have to see what you did to tell you what is wrong. I had a similar problem once, and it was because the AIR system was not sealed and was drawing air in through the exhaust and leaning out the cylinders. Oh, and there is no "e" in vacuum.

I will take a pic and send it to you .
Maybe it's leaking from the EGR block off plate I put on.
Could that cause the problem?
Thanks for the spell check :^0
Thanks...

If it is leaking at the EGR valve, it would cause the problem you are describing.

did you tune the carb or just slap it on? with a timing light, make sure the ignition advance is still working, if using the stock ECM controlled distrubutor. are the vac lines hooked up according the the original diagram and edelbrocks manual?

actually my dist works perfectly fine with out the carb. i have the ECT, knock, and baro sensors hooked up. the engine responds perfectly in all areas, including sharp throttle changes. i am going to hook the MAP sensor in soon and see what happens though.

I figured out the problem since I just bought the car and the carb was apart I put the Edelbrock on all the vaccum line were correct.
Before I changed the dist or anything else I checked the Firing
order and sure enough the previous owner mixed up the wires.
It runs perfect now.
Thanks for all the info.

megaladon6 said:
actually my dist works perfectly fine with out the carb. i have the ECT, knock, and baro sensors hooked up. the engine responds perfectly in all areas, including sharp throttle changes. i am going to hook the MAP sensor in soon and see what happens though.

You should be getting at least a couple codes with the CCC carb missing (TPS, MCS, likely 02), and the distrubuter is not advancing properly, but rather refering to a standard "limp home" mode table. Without input from the TPS, the computer doesn't know what to do with the advance curve. If you eliminate one component, you have to eliminate everything as it is no longer working properly. It will still run as you have experienced, but you are not getting optimal performance by a long shot.

limp home mode is a set advance number. it won't vary with load or speed. that's NOT what is happening with mine. the advance curve is working fine and has at leats 15* of varience. if it was in limp mode the engine would run decent at idle and low load/low speed only. not when spinning the tires or at 6k rpm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor