1987 Olds 442 Air Shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon8

n00b
Apr 15, 2012
Hi All. I just purchased an 87 Olds 442 with only 15000 miles on it. Long story short was the car sat for over 24 years because the wife died of cancer and now I want to do a few modifications to it. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which shocks to replace the original with? Also the tires are from 1987 but any recommendations as to should I stick with the Goodyear GTs? The car rides well but I think with these small changes it could ride even better. Also what can I do to get a few more horses from it. It has the W42 Pkg and is not slow but not super quick either. Thanks all !

Welcome! I have bilstein shocks on my 86 442. If you wanted to stick with air shocks I dont really know whats best. As for power, there isnt a ton you can do besides maybe a better exhaust and the basics. The 307 was never many to be a power house. I guess it all depends on how original you want to keep it. It originality isnt a big concern a 350 or 403 olds motor is a direct swap and it would still look stock. I went with the 350 route but my car was hacked up and a lot of parts were missing from under the hood.

a fresh set of tires would help the ride but keep the old tires they are probably original, just a good set of non air shocks will stiffen the ride up a bit. the suspension set up on the 442 is pretty good as is i think. mine has 48,000 miles on it and just the shocks have been replaced with monroe shocks, non air shocks in the rear. not much you can do for power other than dump a lot of money in the 307 or an engine swap, if you do that i suggest a 403 and build it to look original so no one knows :twisted: what ever you do to the car i would keep everything you take off or replace so if you ever wanted you can go original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor