1987 Turbo T Rebuild ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
Okay so this project is still in planning but basically I want to totally redo my Buick similar to what UndercoverT has done with his rebuild. This whole project started as soon as my engine started to make a funny noise. I plan on doing a full rebuild on the engine and put forged pistons, a roller cam , stud and girdle the block as well as a new forged crank from TA performance. I may also get the GN1 heads. I'm going to pull out the whole interior and repaint the floor all new sound deadening as well as a repaint on anything faded. The engine bay is going to be completely refinished. I'm going to chrome the bumpers and repaint the car the original burgundy metallic. At the end of the day I want a solid 10 second car that looks brand new.. the purpose of this build is to get a very reliable motor with parts that I have confirmed for peace of mind. and a mint body with a very good paint job.

The car is decent right now but I think she deserves to be brand new again. These pictures do the paint way to much justice the car has a lot of faded and spots where the clear coat has vanished.

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
Very sharp car. Can't wait to see it progress.

Blake B

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2011
KS
YGspider said:
At the end of the day I want a solid 10 second car that looks brand new.. the purpose of this build is to get a very reliable motor with parts that I have confirmed for peace of mind.

a reliable 10 second street car (i assume on pump gas w/alky??(due to your previous threads)? i'm interested. however, due to history repeating itself, i'm going to assume being a 10 sec car reliability wont linger too long. you'll want to beat on the car (rightfully so) thats when things start to go wrong/break (rear end/trans/axles) etc, regardless of how well these parts are confirmed

what kind of timeline are looking at for the rebuild. i'm excited to see this thing back to its former glory--or maybe even better.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
Blake B said:
YGspider said:
At the end of the day I want a solid 10 second car that looks brand new.. the purpose of this build is to get a very reliable motor with parts that I have confirmed for peace of mind.

a reliable 10 second street car (i assume on pump gas w/alky??(due to your previous threads)? i'm interested. however, due to history repeating itself, i'm going to assume being a 10 sec car reliability wont linger too long. you'll want to beat on the car (rightfully so) thats when things start to go wrong/break (rear end/trans/axles) etc, regardless of how well these parts are confirmed

what kind of timeline are looking at for the rebuild. i'm excited to see this thing back to its former glory--or maybe even better.

That's where plans may change maybe I'll go for more of a 11 second or 12 second. But yes alky is going to be on the car and already is installed. For the timeline I want to rip into this project as soon as the season starts to get cold so maybe right at the end of September so the driveway is still usable for the engine pull. My plans are to build the engine and redo the suspension first as well as all other small ends and odds that need to be replaced. I'm also debating a TA aluminum Buick Block... but that is getting maybe a little to crazy. During all the machining and engine work, I'm going to pull out the interior and all the trim. I'm then going to repaint the floors and put a new carpet and sound deadening. Then the body work will start. I estimate maybe a year or two years. And if I really get into the project it could happen in under a year. this is going to be the biggest project and learning curve I will face in my life and I cant wait to learn how to weld and work with all the parts. It will be a good experience for me and my dad to spend time together in the garage share beers and share new swear words at the car.

All in all I just want a mint condition car with a very very very solid engine to beat on once in a while.

Blake B

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2011
KS
i look forward to seeing it. i should be starting a new car soon as well, when i finally find one i want to dig into. so many choices :blam:

Nov 4, 2012
YGspider said:
That's where plans may change maybe I'll go for more of a 11 second or 12 second. But yes alky is going to be on the car and already is installed. For the timeline I want to rip into this project as soon as the season starts to get cold so maybe right at the end of September so the driveway is still usable for the engine pull. My plans are to build the engine and redo the suspension first as well as all other small ends and odds that need to be replaced. I'm also debating a TA aluminum Buick Block... but that is getting maybe a little to crazy. During all the machining and engine work, I'm going to pull out the interior and all the trim. I'm then going to repaint the floors and put a new carpet and sound deadening. Then the body work will start. I estimate maybe a year or two years. And if I really get into the project it could happen in under a year. this is going to be the biggest project and learning curve I will face in my life and I cant wait to learn how to weld and work with all the parts. It will be a good experience for me and my dad to spend time together in the garage share beers and share new swear words at the car.

All in all I just want a mint condition car with a very very very solid engine to beat on once in a while.

it all depends on all committed you are to the car. are you going to keep it forever? do you want your grandkid's grandkids driving it? if so, you can't go too crazy. but if you want a car you are gonna drive around for 5 years or so and then sell for a profit, you probably wouldn't want to change everything. have fun with it!

Undercover87T

Greasemonkey
G-Body of the Month
Dec 24, 2012
Westminster, MD
I'm curious to see how this project plays out as your basically starting the same project I did. Mine took about a year giving that I knew nothing about turbo buicks and was plagued by trans issues. If you rebuild the motor the way you described depending on what turbo, trans and other parts you pair with it low 11's should be easy and still have good street manors. You and pops will have plenty of swearing ahead of you :roll: . If you got questions I'd be more than happy to help man just hit me up. Oh fyi, TA blocks are $4000+ bare :shock:. Would be cheaper to buy a production 4.1, as full throttle is now going to offer off the shelf forged pistons for 4in bore 4.1 :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor