200r4

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpguy

Greasemonkey
Aug 17, 2008
pulled trans from 86 el camino 200r4?...is it worth anything? Don't know if this is posted correctly...thanks for any input

Yes. Good cores are becoming more difficult to find. I'd list it on Craigslist or on the Forum. This is a good trans to use with a 3.42 or 3.73 rear axle for mild performance cars. 0.67 4th gear.

even in bad shape a 200r4 is always worth a few hundred dollars or just short of that at least.

thank you it ran and shifted good. went with manual...again thanks for replies....happy to hear maybe could sell

Any model 200-4R can be upgraded with better governor, valve body mods, performance servo, and other goodies, etc. Granted the desirable cores are the ones mentioned. BRF, CZF, OZ etc.

Longroof79 said:
Any model 200-4R can be upgraded with better governor, valve body mods, performance servo, and other goodies, etc. Granted the desirable cores are the ones mentioned. BRF, CZF, OZ etc.

As was mine. And its bad *ss.

V8 Rumble said:
2004R is the correct name for this trans.

Actually the name was officially changed to THM200-4R within it's last couple of years in service because of improvements. (The later years being better than the early years. About '87 to '90.) When this trans first came out in '80, it was called THM 200R4 just like the trans named after it, the THM 700R4 two years later. (Even though the 700R4 had more improvements, it never got a name change until '92 to 4L60.)

Most still call it the 200R4 and technically they are not incorrect. Knowing the exact years by glance is nearly impossible without the knowing the serial numbers. The letter codes don't accurately tell the years. Personally, It's confusing for me to call it 2004R when I still mess with 700R4s.
Just thought I'd clear that up a little.
T

Actually the name was officially changed to THM200-4R within it's last couple of years in service because of improvements. (The later years being better than the early years. About '87 to '90.) When this trans first came out in '80, it was called THM 200R4 just like the trans named after it, the THM 700R4 two years later. (Even though the 700R4 had more improvements, it never got a name change until '92 to 4L60.)

Most still call it the 200R4 and technically they are not incorrect. Knowing the exact years by glance is nearly impossible without the knowing the serial numbers. The letter codes don't accurately tell the years. Personally, It's confusing for me to call it 2004R when I still mess with 700R4s.
Just thought I'd clear that up a little.
T

I have to disagree that the 2004r was ever referred to as 200r4 by gm.

I have an 83 edition of the GM book Principles of Operation that calls it 2004r.

IMAG6012.jpg

IMAG6011.jpg

IMAG6010.jpg

using the tail tag it is not hard to tell what GM originally put the trans into.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070128173316/http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html

IMAG2835.jpg

This came from a member named ape over on this site http://www.impalas.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-3818.html

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/transmission/transid.gif

lots of 2004r info out there but it takes some digging.

Last edited:
Very good deep digging. Your digging prompted me to dig farther also. My source (30 year GM Tech. '76 - '06 retired) seemed very reliable. And after digging in his library (Basement of manuals) I found this.
DSC 00113.jpg
Printed December ,1980. I officially stand corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor