3.8L V6 - vacuum, emissions, carb fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
My SBB350 swap plans (all this) are on hold, mainly due to cost. I can't justify putting over $2K into a motor for a car that I'll drive maybe a few thousand miles a year. Maybe I'll get lucky & find a running local SBB350 for a few hundred bucks & I'll stick that in, or maybe I'll build the one I have someday, but for now I'm just keeping the V6. So:

The main to-do things on the V6 are to replace the valve cover gaskets (leaking) and rebuild the carb (running poorly, leaking gas onto the intake). I'll do both myself, the carb with Ken @ Everyday Performance's new book.

Today I found three more hoses on top of the engine disconnected and plugged. Some might have something to do with it running a bit rough, especially at startup. So, I'll figure all of that out & put it all back the way it should be. My smog pump is locked up. I don't WANT a smog pump, but if I'm going to fix all of this, should I just go ahead & replace it... isn't it a necessary part of the system?

Does anybody have a working pump they'd sell me cheap? ~$150 for something I don't want sucks.

& any advice about any of this is appreciated. I'll scour the forums for useful info before I get started.

1662051761238.png

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My smog pump is locked up
Many moons go my neighbor had a 1980 Monte Carlo with the smaller V-8 [267?] and his smog pump locked up breaking the fan belt. Back then the stealerships wanted a king's ransom for a [new at the time] smog pump. I took it off, opened it up, and squirted lots of WD40 inside. I worked it back and forth and eventually it worked. There is a sliding blade inside that gets corroded and sticks. Open it and you will see. After that it worked fine for the life of the car.

Reactions: 2 users

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Many moons go my neighbor had a 1980 Monte Carlo with the smaller V-8 [267?] and his smog pump locked up breaking the fan belt. Back then the stealerships wanted a king's ransom for a [new at the time] smog pump. I took it off, opened it up, and squirted lots of WD40 inside. I worked it back and forth and eventually it worked. There is a sliding blade inside that gets corroded and sticks. Open it and you will see. After that it worked fine for the life of the car.

Tomorrow morning's project. Thanks!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Also check the anti-back-fire valve. It may be leaking exhaust back to the smog pump and crudding it up.

Reactions: 1 user

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Done! Spinning free. Thanks for the suggestion!

1662139411985.png

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah, just keep it running. Sitting engineless is a real demotivator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor