3.8L V6 / wiring, vacuum routing on top of engine

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
81 GP, 3.8L V6. Some wiring, some vacuum lines, and the plug wires all route across the top front of the engine, in front of the carb and partially under the air cleaner. Mine's been messed with & it's tight... too tight & I doubt that's how it was from the factory. Does anybody here have a neat, 'stock' engine with things in the right place & if so would you be willing to post a few pics of that so I can see how it SHOULD be?

Thanks...

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Still have the diagram on the fan shroud?

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
I do, so I know what emissions lines run through there, and it's mostly obvious what electrical wiring runs through but something isn't right.
See below - this is what it looked like when I bought the car. It's neater now but still not right.
There's a 'hook plate" up there & a bar that supports the alternator. it could just be how all this routes through / around that stuff... that might be all I need to change.

1691093693257.png

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Someone has messed with the carburetor. The airhorn should have torx screws, not flat blade screws. The white plug on the driver side of the carb is your throttle position sensor and should be hooked up.

Reactions: 1 user

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
Mine's been messed with & it's tight... too tight & I doubt that's how it was from the factory. Does anybody here have a neat, 'stock' engine with things in the right place
Granted, it has been messed with, but .... "neat" and "in the right place" will never fit together with "how it was from the factory," where "too tight" would still be generous.

You might want to gently lower your expectations for when you get it sorted out.

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Someone has messed with the carburetor. The airhorn should have torx screws, not flat blade screws. The white plug on the driver side of the carb is your throttle position sensor and should be hooked up.
That carb is gone, remanufactured one in its place & everything's hooked up properly. & i'm not trying to make it 'look' factory correct... just trying to use the space that's there correctly. What it basically comes down to is, there's a chain hook plate and an alternator support bracket that I have to route stuff around / under. Right now it's all behind the plate & above the bracket, and I need to move some in front of the plate & under the bracket. It's simply helpful to have pictures of how it should be.

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Lucky day - by chance, driving past Danser's junkyard & stopped in to see what's new. Nothing new but there's still a low mileage V6 GP there. The motor's mostly torn apart but it just so happens that there's an intact set of plug wires with all of the clamps. They might be stock wires. They're in good condition & are the right length. It's a small step in getting things in order.

1691252500388.png

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor