305 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

1985RegalLimited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2007
Chicago
Hi, I have a offer to grab a 305 and transmission. My buddy wants 100$ for it. It's been sitting in his garage for 6 years, untouched. I can manualy turn it over. Now for sitting for 6 years, am I going to have major problems to run it for a short time, or would I need to rebuild the top end? Thanks

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Pull the plugs and squirt oil down the cylinders first. Next, pull the distributor and use a priming tool to prime the oil pump. Then, with the plugs still out and the distributor in, spin it over with the starter for 15-20 seconds to finish priming it while minimizing stress on the bearings.

Cole

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Just wanted to add that it might be a good idea to pull the valve covers and watch the pushrods while pre-oiling. It might take a while to get any oil to flow onto the passenger side rockers. If you wanted to make extra sure that you don't have problems, you could pour a bit of assembly lube (or just oil) onto them.

I would say adjusting the valves is optional, but a top end rebuild shouldn't be necessary.

1985RegalLimited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2007
Chicago
My buddy was going to put it in a monte but he found a h.o. 305 3 weks later for a deal. I just got it today. The carb needs rebuilt, and he said when he pulled it , it would have a very minimal smoke on start up, but did smoke that tiny bit. I can't find a rochester rebuild kit anywhere. I even checked out summit racing which is a half hour from me. I belive its a 450cfm. If anyone can help on that one, it would be greatly appreciated =)

thanks

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
What carb is it....2bbl or 4bbl? What year engine is it? What car is it from originally? If it is a factory 4bbl, it's a model of Quadrajet. There are probably 4 models of Q-Jet used on 305's factory depending on year. If it is a 2 bbl, it could be a Dualjet ( looks like a Q-jet, but no secondaries) or a 2GC. The 2bbl's are usually from the 70's while the 4bbl's are all that was offered in the 80's with a computer. If it is a computer carb and you are trying to run it without a computer, it will run rich as the MC solenoid is probably in the failsafe-wide open position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor