4-speed in a '79 Grand Prix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racingcc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 17, 2010
minnesota
Can it be done easily? What do I look for to put a 4 spd behind a pontiac 400 in a Grand Prix? Any help would be great! Thanks!

That is a nice car in the link but sad he did that to a factory 4 speed of which there were only 236 or so made. I own two myself and will get one going hopefully in the next year but it will remain 301 saginaw and 7.5 due to the rarity. I made a 80 lj into a 400 th400 8.5 rear but it is a lot more (or at least was) common of a car.

It can be done, but not easilly. Best bet is a 400 4 speed from a Firebird as a donor. I've run a Saginaw 4 speed behind several 400's and the worst I did was spin a thrust bearing but other folk have grenaded them with lesser motors. The Saginaw was offered from the factory and a Hurst shifter/install kit is available and will fit like stock and clear the bench or 60/40 seats. All the pedals, linkage, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, etc, needed are available new and used. You may want to start with a ST-10 or something else strong. Useing that will require bucket seats as the shifter will end up on the end of the tailhousing about 6" farther back than a Saginaw and the bench or 60/40 seats won't clear. I ran a 7.5 rear and had no trouble but again, some have split it open like a mellon with less power than a Pontiac 400. My advise is to use decent gears so the drivetrain is not stressed. Nothing worse than a torque monster 400 trying to push dead gears around. Once it's done, you will have a case of smile-itis every time you drive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor