4-speed manual in a '79 Grand Prix? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

racingcc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 17, 2010
minnesota
I know the factory produced about 200 some cars with the 4 speed but mine is not one of them. I found a complete pedal to fork kit for about $360.00 but need some other info. The kit does not come with instructions, which sucks bad. Where do I punch the hole through the fire wall for the pedal? Where do I punch through for the trans hump in the floor for the shifter? What crossmember do I use? Any info or even pictures of under dash and firewall would be great! Thanks a bunch G Freaks!

I did a 4-speed swap on an 80 GP years back (used pedals from a70's nova). If I remember correctly, there was a dimple (if not a hole with a rubber plug) behind the pedal for the clutch rod.

For the shifter hole, it will totally depend on what transmission and shifter you use. Also pay attention to your shifter linkage. Mine rubbed on the tunnel and we had to massage it a bit with a hammer.

And the x member. If you are using a 4-speed, a TH350 x member is what you want.

Also don't forget you will need a pilot bearing (I think that's what it's called) for the back of your engine crank.

I'm sure someone else will get in on this that has done it more recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor