400 PONTIAC MOTOR IN A 1984 CUTLASS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2012
I JUST PUT A 400 PONTIAC IN MY 1984 CUTLASS. I HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE MOTOR I A LIL HIGH AND I USE THE MOTOR MOUNT OFF A 301 GRAND PRE THE FAN HITS THE FAN GUARD AND IM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH FINDING HEADERS FOR IT. PLEASE HELP.

I have a 455 Pontiac in my 84 GP and I am using the 301 motor mounts also but have no clearance problems. I bet you have the mounts in the wrong holes, move the mounts around towards the back of the engine bay until the mounting holes line up. For years I had the mounts in the wrong holes too, the engine sat up too high and too much forward which made me have to use a 15" inch flex fan. It wasn' t until years later that I had to change the engine mounts that I found a better location for them a little back further. The motor dropped down and back a little so then I was able to use a 17" flex fan and the motor sat in the bay perfectly! You can bolt the mount in many different locations due to the many different holes there are on the frame due to several different motors being available for our cars back in the day. There were V8's V6's and even diesel motors that were optional. If I remember correctly I was only able to use 3 out of the 4 holes for the mounts and the last hole was towards the back were there was no hole lined up for the bolt, but that doesn't matter, I've been running it this way for years and the mounts are solid!! So move the mounts back further until the 3 holes line up and you can tack weld the other corner if you'd like but like I said mine have never budged even with the monster torque of the 455! Good Luck!

The mounts on the frame are similar for most models, but the block mounted perches are way different. Did they come with the motor, or what? You may have "F" body, older "A", or even "B" body perches. If they are GP 301 perches then what the other guys said applies.

Since I have my car tore apart I snapped a few pics for you. This should be the correct orientation like everyone else said...pics always help though.

There's 2 bolts at the top of the mount, you just can't see them because of the flash. There also one in the middle at the bottom.
<<<<<<<< front of car
0811122119_0001.jpg

0811122122_0001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor