4x10 to 6x9 adapter

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Anyone know why speaker adapters for g body's have sky rocked through the roof. The 3 companies I knew of that sold them have all went crazy with the prices

$50 from Dixies (forum sponsor) doesn't seem too bad? I bought a pair from a local mobile audio place back in the 90's and they cost me like $30 back then...? Site says out of stock but expected in mid October, maybe worth a quick call in to check and try to lock in price before there's an increase?

Reactions: Drkuhar
I have always just notched the rear deck and mounted 6x9s directly to it, doing this also eliminates magnet clearance issues

• Informative
Reactions: melloelky
I have always just notched the rear deck and mounted 6x9s directly to it, doing this also eliminates magnet clearance issues
That sounds like a better option than expensive adapters actually. My cutlass has adaptors but they were 11.00. this monte I am working on radio isn't even a priority

Dixie is the way to go, Being me having a LeMans and the Malibu interchanges a decent bit enough it works out. I'm inquisitive though if there are ANY Direct FIT no CUT Rear 6x9 Deck speakers out there. Otherwise, I'm going back to 4x10s.

Reactions: Drkuhar
I pulled my package tray to re-cover it and found that the previous owners have cut out the metal to apparently make 6x9s fit in the rear. Had SS_Malibu make me some filler panels to put back where all the metal was missing. (thanks again!) I wasnt aware of it before and had always wondered why everyone mentioned why 6x9s didnt fit. Now I see that the reason I was able to sneak some 6" speakers back there for the time being was because it was all cut out lol I think when that time comes I will just go with some Pioneer 4x10s and call it good. As mentioned, this wont be a high end system either, I just want something to hear the music over the wind when I have the t-tops off.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Has anyone used the kicker 4x10s and how do they fit? especially when using the OEM speaker grilles to stay as original as possible. Kicker - Crutchfield 2024-09-10 21_20_30-kicker 4x10 at Crutchfield - Chef - Microsoft​ Edge.png

I think if I didn't want to notch the deck for 6 x 9's I would probably fab up a mount for a pair of 4" round speakers in each spot with maybe a tweeter in between them over a 4 x 10 which IMO is a terrible design for a speaker regardless of who makes it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor