Status
Not open for further replies.

hellcamino

n00b
Jan 25, 2008
Colby, KS
ok so ive decided to put a new gm 6.0L in my 1983 el camino, i still want air and all the goods to make it a very decent travel car, has anyone done anything like this, and know if the compresor and everything is compatiable with my older a/c that came in the car? any help sugestions are greatly appreciated

i'd go over to the pro-touring.com/forum site for details. American Touring Specialties has the special motor mounts you'll need. the compressor will work, you just need to use r-143 freon and the -134 valves. replace the receiver/dryer when you're ready to charge the system and have it professionally vacuumed.
if it's a truck engine and ECM you may want to have the "torque management"system disabled. i'd also use the 4l60e or 4l80e trans and put in paddle shifters.

it will be a pain in the *ss swap getting everything just right but it'll be worth it.

Nothing will just bolt in, but you could adapt it all to work. The oil pan will need to be modified, the A/C lines will be custom and mate the G body ends with the LS compressor fittings, custom throttle cable, clutch linkage or auto trans wiring, radiator (if LS F body is not a bolt in), etc. You basically need to engineer the whole thing and have a much greater understanding of late model systems than you would with, say a carb'd 350 SBC. In my opinion, it is worth your time if you enjoy this sort of thing and can afford the price of admission. If money is tight, pass on it.

As you probably already know, the LS engine offers a wonderful combination of power and driveability that is unknown in an older Gen I engine. Smooth idle, acceptable fuel economy, lighter weight (depending on model), and very powerful. I would go with an LS/6 speed combo if money were not an object for me. Preferably an aluminum block model as it would help with the weight distribution of the car which helps with traction, acceleration, cornering and braking.

hey guys thanks 4 all the info really helped me out,, my direction is to have it end up with about 600hp and a tuff 6 speed, ive got time to make money haha,

I am working on an LS1 / 6spd swap on my Monte Carlo right now. I have been documenting my progress (slow) on my car domain site.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2509921

You also need to check out John B's site. Tons of good information there.
http://home.earthlink.net/~bzdel/
John also sells engine mounts that put the LS1 in the stock location. Modified Oil pan. Air Conditioning Compressor relocation Kit (for the F-Body Accessory Set up) and a Clutch Pedal made to work with the F-Body Slave Cylinder.

Once challenge with the truck motors is the accessory system. A lot of people run into hood clearance issues with the high mount alternator. But others have made it work. LS1Tech Hybrid/Swap forum is a great source of information. There is a G-Body thread there as well as an El Camino one. Search and you will find them.

Good Luck.

I had not seen that kit before. It says no oil pan mods necessary. Most kits require you to modify the oil pan to clear the crossmember. Most people who don't modify the oil pan, notch the frame. I would think if their kit clears the cross member without modifying the oil pan it must either raise the motor or push it back to get the oil pan to clear the frame. Seems like it would be really tight on the firewall if you moved it back.

The John B mounts put the LS1 in the same position as the original Gen 1 motor to within 1/4".

I am definately finding that there are a lot of different options on the best way to do the LS1 Swap. Just need to research and makes sure your choices play well with each other. The LS1Tech forum helps a lot.

Ill be attempting this swap in the next few years...from my understanding..if your going to use your transmission... the crank offset maybe different...im told the early engines will bolt right up...and the later ones require some sort of adapter to properly locate the tork. converter on the crank..
thanks for posting this..i learned some things too! 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor