700r4 or 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bdoza88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2011
Hey yall i have a 350 bored 0.30 over with a th350 with posi rear end with 3:73 gears. I wanted to get a 700r4 so i could have that extra gear but a few ppl have told me to go with a 400 instead. Which is better?

What are you doing with the car? The TH400 will outlast the 700r4 but if you're not racing it or running a sticky tire you should be good to go with a fresh 700r4.

Just my weekend street terrorizer but i like to cruise the highway too thats why i need that extra gear. Might take it to the track wvery once in a while but not putting any slicks on or anything. Thanx

You just answered your own question then. The car will get much better gas mileage on a daily basis with the 700r4 and be nearly as fast at the track. The 400 shifts hard and would be better if you're going to drag race a lot and continue doing mods to the engine. It starts to get old fast if you are driving it on a daily basis - especially in commuter traffic when you realize how quickly you are destroying brake pads or wasting gas - or usually both of those at the same time possibly with the addition of going through tires if your rear gear is high 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor