78 Monte carlo steering issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

78t-tops

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2009
This morning i went to gets some money from the atm when suddenly my steering wheel started to become loose. Well i went out and bought a grant wheel remover and checked out the top end of the column and it seemed ok. I went under the hood and the rubber boot / metal coupler moved up about 1.5" Question is, should i replace the whole thing or if someone knows exactly whats going on with my steering issue. And if you have a steering column, please send me a pm of your price, local though. call me 817-657-2153. If you look at my pics youll see the slight difference. The movement is from the joint up. Lemme know what yall think

http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... IM1066.jpg
http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... IM1067.jpg

I can't tell in the pics for sure. Is it the shaft between the steering column and the steering box that's moving? Or, is it the steering column itself? If it's the shaft that slides, with the rubber boot, then somebody sells the Jeep Cherokee shaft with u-joints on both ends.

I not familiar enough with steering columns to explain your problem, but I couldn't help but notice the upper control arm in the pics. Do you have shims missing at the rear bolt? My column has a slight bit of lateral play at the lower end. Time to dig in the service manual and study a bit. Sorry I can't help yet.

Bill

When you say "Your steering wheel became loose" What do you mean by that?

Did it move freely from side to side as if it was stripped? You could turn the wheel but the shaft /wheels would not move?

or

the wheel moved foward (towards the dashboad) and back (towards you)

AND THIS IS AN OTHER PROBLEM!!!!! YOUR GOING TO LOOSE THAT CONTROL ARM
ggggggggggg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor