'79 Malibu bulkhead diagram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maliboost

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2022
hey everyone.. I have a '79 Malibu drag car that still has some factory wiring I want to keep. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a diagram with color coding. Mostly the heavier wiring on the left side. I believe the smaller wires on the right are for the wiper motor.

Thanks

-Dave

Attachments

• 20220508_224101.jpg
    20220508_224101.jpg
    831.2 KB · Views: 238

maliboost

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2022
oh hell yeah, thats perfect!! Thank you both!

By chance do you know the name of the pin used there, if I was to try to replace a few wires?

-Dave

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
oh hell yeah, thats perfect!! Thank you both!

By chance do you know the name of the pin used there, if I was to try to replace a few wires?

-Dave
Those are Packard terminals. Two different sizes. 56 and 59. I bought them from this place. I started out with a dozen each of the males. In the end I bought a lot more of male and female because I rewired everything on the motor in both of my cars. http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/_packard_terminals.asp To crimp them right on the wires you really need the correct crimper. I bought a set of them from american auto wire. Theyre not cheap but they do the right factory style crimp. Figured it wouldnt hurt to have them in the toolbox for future projects.
If you want the correct color wires you can buy small lengths from a place called wirebarn. They have a website.

Reactions: 4 users

maliboost

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 29, 2022
Those are Packard terminals. Two different sizes. 56 and 59. I bought them from this place. I started out with a dozen each of the males. In the end I bought a lot more of male and female because I rewired everything on the motor in both of my cars. http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/_packard_terminals.asp To crimp them right on the wires you really need the correct crimper. I bought a set of them from american auto wire. Theyre not cheap but they do the right factory style crimp. Figured it wouldnt hurt to have them in the toolbox for future projects.
If you want the correct color wires you can buy small lengths from a place called wirebarn. They have a website.

Thanks Mike -- if they are Packard 56, I think I have a bunch of those on hand for my '70 Chevelle.

-Dave

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thanks Mike -- if they are Packard 56, I think I have a bunch of those on hand for my '70 Chevelle.

-Dave
A couple might be 59. Theyre a little wider than the 56. Make sure you have them for the correct AWG wire. Heres a video from american auto wire on how to crimp them. The first two crimps that I tried I did incorrectly. Glad I saw the video early. It could have been a costly error.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
12 AWG wires like the red power & pink HEI will be 59's.
Yeah, I remember a couple were 59s. Just couldnt remember which. Now that you mentioned those I think the other red 12 AWG that came from the splice from the alternator was also a 59. Easy to see when you clean the bulkhead connector up and look at the back

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor