8.8 ford rear in a g body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I don't think it will fit. Both cars use a 4 link coil spring suspension, but the Fox body has the springs on the lower control arms and not on the axle tubes like a G body. It also uses a different bolt pattern than a G body. 1985-1993 Mustang/Capri models are 4 bolt, and the SN95 cars are wider and use a 5 lug pattern that is not the same as GM uses. Ford 5 lug is 5 on 4.5, GM is 5 on 4.75. Additionally, The Ford uses a drive flange to mount the U joints to the pinion whereas GM has direct mounting. Now, it may well be that there is a model that is the correct width out of a Fox chassis Ford, I don't know. If you want to try and see if something fits with a tape measure, here's the basic models that have 8.8's in Fox cars: 1985-1993 Mustang with 5.0, 1987-88 T bird turbo coupe, Lincoln MK VII, 1994-2004 Mustang. It may also have been used in the extremely rare LTDII LX which used a Mustang GT drivetrain and was only available in 1985. I am not sure on that one. It may even have seen duty on T-bird's and Cougars with the 5.0, but I tend to believe they had the 7.5 instead. This is all off the top of my head, so I may be wrong on some of it.

UnclesCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2007
Northern Cambria, PA
ryanelco said:
will it fit? anybody done this? problems? comments? suggestions? thanks

A place called TRZ motorsports was working on building a kit for this. I think they were building it for an 8.8 out of an explorer but I am not to sure. Google TRZ motorsports and email them I am sure they will let you know more about it.

Rob

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
try strange engineering. they make all sorts of rearend dooddads. their not very pricy and their based like 5 miles from my house. thats where im getting my limited slip carrier and 3.73 gear and install kit.

hotrod86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 19, 2007
ft madison iowa
8.8 ina g body

currie enterprises has a direct bolt in 9" for our g bodies. it is around $1200

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
theres a bolt in 12 bolt too.the currie one is just axles and housing still need brakes and a 3rd member.

c_unit productions

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2007
florida
look at maliburacing.com its a forum that trz just finished fabricating a kit for it to work. its not out of an explorer because those r leaf spring cars.look under drivetrain technical and scroll down and u will seeford 8.8 rear swap- completed.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
I've heard of people using 8.8" Fords for two reasons: Price and weight. Its more and more expensive to get a hold of a 12-Bolt these days and a Ford 9" weights a lot more than an 8.8". Also 8.8" rears are in everything. After about '91 or '92. All 4.0L V6 Rangers and Explorers run them. And they ran 4.10's with Limited Slip from the factory. Not to mention you can snag one at almost any junkyard for a couple hundred dollars, if not less. And the newer ones they run in the '05-'07 Mustangs are 31 Spline. Those things are bulletproof in a stang, so I'd imagine they'd do good in a GBody. I'd have to check width. I know the Ranger and Explorere 8.8" are not as wide as the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor