'80 442 Vortec swap won't run...

HotRods442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 25, 2009
As title says, swapped a 5.7 Vortec into my 442, now it won't run... Got rid of efi & ecm, installed a cheap Chinese clone of Edelbrock's Vortec Etec spreadbore intake, and a Chinese Quadrajet, as well..
New HEI Distributor, (Accel performance), adding Accel HEI Supercoil, and performance module... China struck twice more, with a Vortec mini starter, and a chrome one wire 140amp Alternator, bought a standard rebuild kit to return it to 3 wire, and replace the parts that typically fail, with that particular listing, according to reviews...
Got a Carter rotary external fuel pump, (since Vortec doesn't support mechanical pump, unless you get a roller cam that includes the eccentric)...
Given all the parts thrown at it, under normal circumstances, the Vortec should have fired right up... But for reasons yet undiscovered, refuses to run... One very odd thing, timing set static, Timing mark lined up, point rotor at #1, cap #1 plug wire lined up with rotor, etc. Checked cranking with timing light, fires 90 degrees advanced...
Replaced ignition switch, hoping a contact was culprit, nope... I have checked, and/or replaced everything I could think of, that might cause this no start issue... So far, nothing has made a difference...
I had an '82 Blazer 4 bolt 350 in it, which ended up having a cracked block, discovered cracks in valley, just below deck, on both sides, when I pulled heads, prepping for vortec head swap... It ran fine, prior to that...

Anyone have a similar issue? Seems far deeper than the typical reasons for a no start condition... Thanks in advance, for any assistance given...

so it does turn over? what happens if you spray Startnig Fluid down the throat? does it catch and die? then I would say fuel system. otherwise, start going over the ignition system one by one; plugs, wires, coil, distributor, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
so it does turn over? what happens if you spray Startnig Fluid down the throat? does it catch and die? then I would say fuel system. otherwise, start going over the ignition system one by one; plugs, wires, coil, distributor, etc.
Yep, turns over... Funny story, the pump didn't act like it was doing anything, so pulled line, to see flow, shot 15 feet over drivers fender... yep getting fuel, pump shot works... but acts like it isn't getting any... Spark happens, but so far haven't found where it fires, turning distributor... Don't have starting fluid on hand, so haven't tried that... need to edit post, I installed a Cloyes single roller timing set, to make sure cam timing is correct... Also, first attempt bolting up intake, I went 10lbs over spec for Edelbrock's Vortec Etec, had a viscious vacuum leak, got thicker felpro set, no audible leak, after 11lb torqued... It tried to run when it had the vacuum leak... Plugs, wires, cap & rotor, module, coil, distributor, are all new...

Last edited:
Yep, turns over... Funny story, the pump didn't act like it was doing anything, so pulled line, to see flow, shot 15 feet over drivers fender... yep getting fuel, pump shot works... but acts like it isn't getting any... Spark happens, but so far haven't found where it fires, turning distributor... Don't have starting fluid on hand, so haven't tried that... need to edit post, I installed a Cloyes single roller timing set, to make sure cam timing is correct... Also, first attempt bolting up intake, I went 10lbs over spec for Edelbrock's Vortec Etec, had a viscious vacuum leak, got thicker felpro set, no audible leak, after 11lb torqued... It tried to run when it had the vacuum leak... Plugs, wires, cap & rotor, module, coil, distributor, are all new...
As much as I’ve fought ignition with the chinesum MSD knockoffs in the past, I’d point my finger at the Chinese quadrajet.
If it tried to run with a massive vacuum leak, but won’t with the leak sealed, it sounds like an air issue.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor