'80 Malibu in the 312

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBu_INTHE312

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 3, 2016
Sup yall.

I've got an '80 chevy malibu coupe classic. The car was purchased brand new by my grandfather (in mexico) so it's technically an import...... hahahahahahahaha.

anyway, it's in my hands now, after my dad has had it for over 25 years now. I know nothing about this engine and chassis, I daily drive a 2015 honda civic Si and used to drive BMW's. unfortunately the Bu is as automatic, but i'll live.

Here are a few things my dad mentioned to me about the car, if anyone could please let me know what all this means and where i could get more info on this exact engine. I've read the whole wikipedia on the chevy small block, but still not sure what exact engine is in the Bu at the moment, it's the factory motor but some modifications have been made to it. here's the details that my dad shared with me about the motor:

- 350 bored 60 over with a double roller chain and a steel crank. it has accel distributor dart heads, b&m shift kit, 373 locking Dana 44.
- 2 1/4" pipe dual exhaust with 2 cat converters - surprisingly this thing passes emissions with only 8mpg.

This is all the information i have. I want this thing to make some real power, but i first want to fix the oil leak it has (loses about a 1/4th quart every full gas tank) and give the suspension a refresh, i'm thinking coilovers of some type.

Anyone know the exact engine I have? the fifth digit in my VIN is an L.
Anyone know if these engines have notorious downfalls?
Any and all info much appreciated! thanks!

-MeeSh

BlueBu_INTHE312

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 3, 2016
after some research it looks like I got lucky with my Mexican version of the Malibu Classic Coupe. from the Malibu Wikipedia page:

"In Mexico, General Motors produced this generation in the Ramos Arizpe plant, which was sold during three years (1979 to '81). Mexican versions came in three trim levels (Chevelle, Malibu and Malibu Classic) and two body styles (sedan and coupe) with the 250-cubic-inch (4.1 L) I-6 as basic engine and the 350-cubic-inch (5.7 L) 260 hp (194 kW) V-8 as the optional; this engine was standard on Malibu Classic models during those three years. This was possible because the Mexican emissions regulations remained relatively free at the time."

So looks like I have the 350 v-8 option. I wish it had an exact engine/motor code though, as I'm still unsure what engine/motor code to research further and to find more parts. any help?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If Mexican documentation followed US models, the fifth digit on your VIN should be an 'L' for a factory 350. If so, I'm jealous. I would love to see a picture of a factory straight six in a G-body...

BlueBu_INTHE312

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 3, 2016
If Mexican documentation followed US models, the fifth digit on your VIN should be an 'L' for a factory 350. If so, I'm jealous. I would love to see a picture of a factory straight six in a G-body...
Are you implying that a factory inline six on a Malibu classic was more rare than a factory V-8 in the Malibu classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor