REGAL 82 Regal 3.8l Stumble after distributor is plugged in .

Endurodude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2023
82 Regal 3.8l , restored. Engine instantly runs rough when Distributor is plugged in . No check engine light.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
With the distributor unplugged the computer goes into full rich limp home mode. you may have your idle adjustment set to lean or a really bad vacuum leak. May,want to check your base ignition timing too.

Endurodude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2023
With the distributor unplugged the computer goes into full rich limp home mode. you may have your idle adjustment set to lean or a really bad vacuum leak. May,want to check your base ignition timing too.
Thanks for the reply’. The base timing was set with Distributor unplugged so I believe its Good in that aspect. Starts easily runs smoothly, as soon as it’s plugged in it runs fine until you touch the gas. Pops through carb . I would think if it had bad vacuum leak it would have a low idle plugged in or not ? Also for the life of me i cant find an Accurate Vacuum diagram to see if those 2 Solenoids are hooked up correctly on Passenger side valve cover. This car is completely restored but just cant get this sorted’

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Thanks for the reply’. The base timing was set with Distributor unplugged so I believe its Good in that aspect. Starts easily runs smoothly, as soon as it’s plugged in it runs fine until you touch the gas. Pops through carb . I would think if it had bad vacuum leak it would have a low idle plugged in or not ? Also for the life of me i cant find an Accurate Vacuum diagram to see if those 2 Solenoids are hooked up correctly on Passenger side valve cover. This car is completely restored but just cant get this sorted’

When thd distributor is disconnected the computer goes into full rich mode which can offset lean mixtures caused by vacuum leaks.

If it pops when you touch the gas it is likely a accel pump issue. Many Qjet rebuild kits have low quality accel pump sesls that fail quickly, even low grade viton can fail. There are online sources for higher grade viton accel pump seals. A quick test is to manually push the accel pump plunger down with youf finger with engine off and release. It should immediately pop right back up. If its slow to return it means the accel pump seal has swelled causing drag.

Endurodude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2023
When thd distributor is disconnected the computer goes into full rich mode which can offset lean mixtures caused by vacuum leaks.

If it pops when you touch the gas it is likely a accel pump issue. Many Qjet rebuild kits have low quality accel pump sesls that fail quickly, even low grade viton can fail. There are online sources for higher grade viton accel pump seals. A quick test is to manually push the accel pump plunger down with youf finger with engine off and release. It should immediately pop right back up. If its slow to return it means the accel pump seal has swelled causing drag.
Carb is New and with Distributor unplugged it will take a rev of the throttle no issue. Accelerator pump squirts perfectly every rotation of throttle plate’.

Endurodude

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2023
Carb is New and with Distributor unplugged it will take a rev of the throttle no issue. Accelerator pump squirts perfectly every rotation of throttle plate’. With no Check Engine light coming on you’d think a slight tweak of Distributor that I could get it to a Spot where its Happy and take Throttle under load in gear etc. 🤦🏻

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Have you checked your air fuel mixture dwell yet?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor