84 Monte I just Picked Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinhjamin8302

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2009
Illinois
Hey guys im new here but def not to gbodys, used to own a 89 ls with a v6 and it was not what i was lookin for, so recently i bought an 84 monte with a 305 off a friend for 400 bucks, he had it sittin in a garage for more than a year and had very minimal rust on it, i plan to give it some TLC before i get her on the road, i started by replacing a leaky brake line but it also needs a valve cover gasket, gonna give her a proper tune up with all new fluids, the paint will need some waxin also, Oh Yeah i also got rid of the stock mags and invested in a set of Weld prostars, my other buddy also had these for sale which i got for 450 bucks with tires!! So all in all i paid about 900 bucks w/ rims, i already love the way she looks and absolutely cant wait to get her on the street!!
If anyone has any suggestions on mods or any advice would be great!! Im all ears...Keep it simple to guys i plan to drive her daily!!
vinhmontecarlo.jpg

Maybe it's just the angle the pic was taken at, but it looks like theres 3 or 4 inches of fender gap above the wheels... Very clean looking car though. Welcome.

IhaveNoPantsOn said:
Maybe it's just the angle the pic was taken at, but it looks like theres 3 or 4 inches of fender gap above the wheels... Very clean looking car though. Welcome.

you can see the jack in the picture.

Car looks great. If it's a driver you may want to start looking for a 200R4 trans and crossmember to get you some OD and a little more mileage. Then you could step up to a 3.73 rear gear to give the car a little better pickup.

axisg said:
IhaveNoPantsOn said:

you can see the jack in the picture.

Car looks great. If it's a driver you may want to start looking for a 200R4 trans and crossmember to get you some OD and a little more mileage. Then you could step up to a 3.73 rear gear to give the car a little better pickup.

thanks, ive got a turbo 350 right??

May have had the TH200 originally. But many of those failed early, so it could have been swapped for a TH350. Look at the pan, if it says metric than it's a TH200. The pan on the 200 and 350 look similar, but the 350 is a bigger pan and doesn't have metric on it.

AWESOME, so glad it dosent have shitty ttops .

love the wheels, first things first redo the whole powertrain

youve officially got way more tire than powertrain.
go with 350/350 3.73 posi, you wont regret it.
if your worried about mpg, which you shouldnt be get 3.08 posi, its pretty decent.

Coveted said:
AWESOME, so glad it dosent have shitty ttops .

love the wheels, first things first redo the whole powertrain

youve officially got way more tire than powertrain.
go with 350/350 3.73 posi, you wont regret it.
if your worried about mpg, which you shouldnt be get 3.08 posi, its pretty decent.

really ?? A 350 trans ? I am so happy I dumped my 3speed for a 200r4. Cruising RPMs dropped a full thousand RPM with the OD and another 200 or so with the lockup at highway speed ( 70 mph ).

3speed trans was revving at 3500 - 4000 at speed and with the OD I am down to appx 2500 rpms at the same speed.

Now with the lockup I can run a taller 3.73 gear in the back which will get me out the hole quicker and really only bump my RPM 200 or so at highway speed due to the OD.

Well i havent looked under her yet but will soon,to figure out what transmission i have, but i have drove her and it seemed to only have 3 gears and no OD, but i would like to get everyones opinion on whether or not i should run full exhaust or have turn downs after the flowmaster, which one sounds the best???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor