85 Cutlass 307 to SBC 350 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

utfan01ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2009
Knoxville, TN
I've read a few threads on here but haven't found any information that breaks down the swap. BTW I'm new here, just bought a nice 85 cutlass from a guy which has a blown head gasket on the 307. I've got a built 355 which was going in my third gen camaro but decided to install it in the cutlass instead. Now I know I'll have to use the SBC motor mounts but what else exactly will I have to change? Will the Accessories from a third gen camaro work in a cutlass? I'm a camaro owner, I own a Hurst equipped 2001 SS and 87 LT camaro so the G-bodies are new to me. Also just for a recommendation where could I find an Olds 350 or 403? I've looked at every junkyard local and all over the internet but haven't found anything which is why I'm going with the chevy engine. My car has the
200 R4 auto so it'll bolt right up, I also have some ceramic coated headers for the swap as well. Any tips from someone who has done this? Just looking for what will interchange as far as the accessories, power steering, A/C, etc.. and wiring. Thanks again.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
utfan01ss said:
I've read a few threads on here but haven't found any information that breaks down the swap. BTW I'm new here, just bought a nice 85 cutlass from a guy which has a blown head gasket on the 307. I've got a built 355 which was going in my third gen camaro but decided to install it in the cutlass instead. Now I know I'll have to use the SBC motor mounts but what else exactly will I have to change? Will the Accessories from a third gen camaro work in a cutlass? I'm a camaro owner, I own a Hurst equipped 2001 SS and 87 LT camaro so the G-bodies are new to me. Also just for a recommendation where could I find an Olds 350 or 403? I've looked at every junkyard local and all over the internet but haven't found anything which is why I'm going with the chevy engine. My car has the
200 R4 auto so it'll bolt right up, I also have some ceramic coated headers for the swap as well. Any tips from someone who has done this? Just looking for what will interchange as far as the accessories, power steering, A/C, etc.. and wiring. Thanks again.

Not much interchanges at all. Non of the accessory brackets will fit, the starter and alternator is on the other side, the only thing that will fit is the trans as you said. There i probably other stuff that I am missing, but I cant remember.

I have to ask, where have you been looking for an Olds motor? if you go to Olds specific sites there is usually people selling an engine. I also should ask, since you already have a Chevy engine, if you do find an Olds engine do you know that they are a little more expensive then a Chevy to build? Depending on what kind of power you are looking for, it might be more cost effective to use an Olds engine. That way you would not have to change all kinds of stuff to get a Chevy engine in. The Olds is a direct swap and requires no modifications to get it to fit, that being the reason why it might be a better option than a Chevy.

Try these sites and post in the wanted section. Im sure someone can help you out.

http://www.oldspower.com/vb/index.php

http://www.classicoldsmobile.com/

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/index.php

http://www.realoldsperformance.com/phpbb2/index.php

utfan01ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 20, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the information. I'm a f-body owner so all I've ever dealt with is chevrolet's. This 355 I have has Patriot Aluminum heads, Comp Cam, port matched Air Gap intake, etc.. which is why I wanted to put it in the olds however like you said since I have to swap all the accessories I'd be interested in dropping a larger Olds small block in the car if I could find one. Is 350 hp to the wheels attainable with a 403 or 350 olds motor? Also I have two third gens which have all the accessories so basically my only concern would be the wiring. I'll check out those sites and see what I can find as well. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor