85 Regal brake problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regalnomics

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 25, 2007
I have to step on my brakes really hard to brake. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it.

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
What does the pedal feel like? Is it soft until it gets to the floor? I'd be willing to bet you need to bleed your brakes or you have contaminated fluid. When was the last time you checked your brakes? Make sure your not leaking fluid, check drums especially.

Regalnomics

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 25, 2007
Yea my brakes are soft until it gets to the floor. I never checked the brakes yet. I just recently bought the car. So can I bleed the brakes myself or do I have to take it to a shop? By the way thanks.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
CHECK FOR A LEAK!!!!!!

Chevyman85

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2006
Bonney Lake, WA
Regalnomics said:
I'm positive that there is no leaks.
To be completly sure your going to have to pull off the back drums and check the cylinders. If there is a leak it could be inside the drum and you wont be able to tell unless you have it off. If you do that and it is dry inside then I'd start by bleeding the brakes. I'll give you the play by play on that; but first what does your fluid look like? Remember brake fluid is distolic, meaning that it asorbs water. If the fluid is contaminated with water it will lower the boiling point and you'll have very poor braking. Or if there is air in the lines then you wont have any pedal either. I'm guessing you have one of these two problems. Its easy to fix just let me know.

Regalnomics

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 25, 2007
Oh my bad I thought the leak was suppose to be outside the car. Ok I'm a try to check the cylinders right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor